Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to run across the Bay Saturday Afternoon and look for a Drum. I also wanted to get a good long run so I could calculate the mpg on the new engine. Ran across and went under the Fisherman's island Bridge and fished the inside. Found an edge and trolled and trolled. No fish for me there. ran out to the breakers and looked around, no fish but found some great sloughs and edges in very fishable water. In one spot the boat was in 8foot of water and I could cast into like a foot of water, nice edge to say the least. While I didn't catch any fish I had a good time just being on the water and learning a little. About the shoals over there. Ran 48.6 miles according to the GPS. 36miles was running and the rest was trolling. When I topped off, the boat took 14.56 gallons. Not bad at all for a two stroke.

There were two other folks fishing in there as well. I talked to one guy who appeared to be a local of the ES. He was drifting the flat and casting spoons for the reds. Said they have been hit or miss lately but when they arrive good drifting the flat and casting was almost a guaranteed catching trip!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
That fuel burn sounds really good in this economy. Sounds like some good recon while checking her out.

We fished the shoals Sunday. Launched around 2pm and got set up on the outside around 3:30. Fished to 9:30 with only 1 run to account for our effort. Not sure of it was a drum or not. Conditions seemed right but it wasn't in the cards,

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where you near the breakers or the other spot? :wink44: Water was 61.2-61.8 where I was, plenty warm enough. Maybe they pushed on up and the next school isn't here yet? I looked at my records over the last few years and the earliest I personally caught a drum was May 4th in back 06. The bulk of my drum have been caught between the Mother's day and the middle of June. That's over the last 12 years. Maybe it is still a little early despite the water temps.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I think it's early too. 2nd or 3rd week of May has always been the "time to be there" for me. I'm hoping a few showed up early and may have moved on and the brunt of them have yet to arrive. Our mild winter may make for an intereting year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts