Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might have one more trip in me, then I am winterizing the boat. Should I change my fuel/water seporators when I winterize or before I first use it in the early spring? Been doing it in the spring, but wanted to hear what you guys do. Also, I bought an extra pair of seporators last spring because of the ethonal scare. I checked them out the other day. They have a little bit of corrosion on them and when I shake them I can hear some rattling. They were stored in a dry bag on the boat and were still in the plastic wrapping. Do they normally go bad in a couple of months.

Ken

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I would say do it in the spring, so that there isnt any water in the filter over the winter, causing any premature failures. I would just say, be safe, and get it done in the spring- that way you know its fresh, and if you have any issues, you have some fresher knowledge about what is new, old, etc. Also, keep a couple spares on board just in case. In the case of your two spares that you have now, I would suggest pulling them out, turning them upside down and seeing if there is any loose gunk on the inside, or any corrosion on the internals. If there is either, bite the bullet, and pitch them. You dont want any rust slag or additional contaminants getting into your motor filters (inline or VST or injectors). Its not worth saving a few bucks.

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Since E-10 gasoline - most of us are realizing how important fuel filters are.Be sure to use one that is 10 micron and it is best to change them every 50 hours of cruising or 75 hours mixed cruise/trolling.I write down the hours when I change mine so it does not go too long.

The ones in the cabin - IMHO - are not worth the gamble to use.It sucks wasting them but why chance it.

In spring- put on a new filter and try to run down most of your winter fuel.Good idea to change the filter after that old fuel is used up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts