Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tim, Jimmy, Bird dog, and I headed out of my local ramp around 130 pm. We quickly hooked into a good grade of fish under big birds, and were catching them to 27 inches. Tim brought his new rod for me to try out. A St. Croix AVID X 6'8" medium heavy with Shimano Chronarch reel. I really liked it, very sensitive, and quick. After about an hour of fishing I heard some noises from the front of the boat, and I looked up to see Tim pointing into the water. While releasing a fish he accidentally tossed his combo into the water, instead of the fish. We tried to catch it for about 20 minutes before giving up. (Skip I have the numbers if you want them.) After convincing Tim that it wasn't that big of deal we moved back onto the fish, and continued catching. Tim quickly forgot about his combo and went back to fishing with his backup St. Croix. He hooked into a fat 24" fish that really gave him a good run. When he brought it to the boat we heard a loud crack, and his backup St. Croix broke in half. Jimmy and I tried to be sympathetic, but we both asked that he not touch anything else on the boat. Ronnie started texting us when he saw the pictures of our fish, so we ran in and picked him up. By the time we came back out the fishing had started to fade, we did get into them again briefly. Fish started off in 30' of water, pushed to 24' by dark. Tim had the sense of humor to send us a picture of his rockfish dinner with the caption "$500 dinner".

IMAG1055.jpg
IMAG1061.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
st. croix replacement

my st.croix snapped in half while jigging bridge about 2 years ago. i called st.croix and they replaced the rod for a small fee. worth the call. good luck

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
$600+ and no dinner: 2-3 weeks ago I took a buddy out chasing birds just north of the Magothy. A wave hit us and he lost his balance - fell in to a rod rack with 6 rods. He broke 2 of his G-Loomis rods off at the butts. A little while later he was releasing a fish near the transom and his 3rd G-Loomis went over the side; not sure what reel he lost but he usually has high-end toys. We were drifting fast and off the location before I knew what happened and could hit the MOB button to mark it. We didn't get any keepers that day either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As a kayak fisherman, my rods go overboard pretty regularly. After the first one I added floats to all my rods. They're about $10. for a pack of 3 and work well. Cheap insurance for an expensive combo.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bob, we were lucky enough to get into about 25 keepers. We were releasing all fish until he broke the 2nd rod. That fish went into the cooler.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Nick -

Tough luck on the lost and broken rods. St Croix is good to work with on warranties. I doubt they can help you on the rod lost overboard. But for the broken one, they should be able to do something. Last year about this time, I was casting to breaking fish and did a line wrap on a seagull. I brought the bird in, covered its head, and released it. As I stood up from a kneeling position, I leaned against the St Croix Premier rod and snapped off the tip. This rod was already 10 years old, but I hoped I could get some help from the company.

St Croix told me to send the broken rod pieces to them. They gave me two options: a) include a check for $50 and get a brand new Premier rod, or b) include a check for $100 and get a brand new Avid rod. I chose the latter and got an excellent rod.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I may go out today and try looking with a treble hook for him. I do feel bad. I personally have jumped in for rods twice, and I would have done it yesterday if I saw it in time. Jimmy is a rescue swimmer, he would save me.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've never before seen someone drop a fish in a rod holder and a rod in the water. He was stone sober too, just makes it worse. He just sent me a picture of a mustang style inflatable pfd. He said "i need this for my rods." So at least he is thinking.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
That reminded me of a trip long ago up in Canada with my Dad. We had caught a lot of fish and were cleaning them for a shore dinner and I looked up at my Dad's end of the boat. He was throwing the cleaned fish over the side and the guts in the boat😏

1 - 16 of 16 Posts