Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got off early from work yesterday and decided to try wading out at Lynnhaven Inlet a couple hours prior to low tide - best day in a long time. Only 2 'keepers' but lots schoolie after schoolie kept hitting the flies. It was so good that I would say out of 50-60 casts, I caught 30+ stripers and 2 shad. What a blast with the nice warm weather, nobody else out there but me, it was peaceful and at the same time full of action. Biggest was 28" and smallest was 15". All happily released and the bending the hook so it resembles a 'circle' hook caught all but one in the lips. Also noticed birds a few hundred yards out circling and diving so the bait was definitely around yesterday.

One question for everyone. Yesterday was also my worst day of lost flies. I lost 6 (clauser and deceivers) however can't figure out why. I bought 4 new tippets yesterday and was thinking possibly they have been on the shelf too long and just failed??? I tie the standard surgeons knot and have always, should I be tying something else? Have been striper fishing before and never had this problem, only from time to time would lose a fly.

Thanks,
Kyle

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Very nice. THat's one of my favorite inlets to fish from shore and wade. I bet at night it is twice as good too.

As for loosing so many flies, go heavier. I've never really found stripers to be line shy (except on gin clear flats around Cape Cod). No need to go below 20 pound test and with sinking line, you only need a few feet of leader. Always test your knots by pulling on them before casting. But the fish could be taking you below the drop off and cutting you off on the shelf. There are all types of snags in there and the drop off is so close to shore that I'm sure there are tons of other lines down there.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Agree with ST. Take the knots out of the equation, 4ft of 20lb mono is plenty (I use Ande its really cheap). Then either a loop knot or clinch knot to attach the fly should be good enough.

But, for the sake of discussion, can you give more info on where the line was breaking? Was it at the fly, or one of the joints in your leader? Knotted or knotless leader?

·
Registered
214 Posts
We need to know what lb test and where it broke. Either the line was very light, damaged, or your knots were bad. Follow the aforementioned and use 20lb and test your knots after you tie by giving them a good tug. If it breaks just tie again. If it broke by the fly and is all frayed and torn up, you got bit off by a bluefish (not too likely at the CBBT but more likely in the ocean).

·
Registered
668 Posts
The surgeon is not the best knot IMHO for connecting line. The Albright is better and fairly easy to learn and tie. I also use loop to loops. Not the best but they work well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. You all nailed it with the strength of the leader. I needed to pick some up on Friday and they were out of 20lb and only had 10lb so I asked about using these and was told they would work fine, well that was way to light. As per Ron at Crab Outfitters, I should have cut off the last couple feet and that would have put me between 15lb-20lb. He set me up good yestereday with a piece of 40lb looped to a 20lb and I didn't lose any yesterday. Again the stripers were there just a little bit further out, didn't think they would be interested with the sunny skies and strong winds but around 3:30pm they started with a bang and didn't stop.

Sawyer - I was using a knotless leader and it was breaking down at the fly. Based on yesterday's success, it was definitely the 10lb that was the problem.

Tissy - You're right. I am planning to change my knots going forward. Tks for the advice.

Thanks everyone.
Kyle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts