Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right in the shadow of the old Chamberlain Hotel at Ft Monroe is a nice large marina where folks with military ties have been keeping boats for years at reasonable rates (?). The Fort Monroe is being closed and turned over to the City of Hampton as a part of base closures nationwide. Slip renters have recently been notified to remove their boats. Slips may be a little tight at all Hampton marinas over the summer until the City of Hampton decides who will manage the Ft Monroe marina and when it will be again available under the new management?

Bob Allen, Hampton VA @ Salt Ponds Condominiums ( the marina is filling up fast--may already not have slips left??)

·
Registered
993 Posts
Bob, I was over there about two months ago. I spoke to the manger and even they don't know what the future holds. It's a shame because it's a nice marina. I think it's well run and clean. We've had some of their customers come over to our marina at Little Creek Amphib base. We are now at our capacity due to the fact that we lost a lot of slips in the '09 Noreaster.

I know that Langley has a nice marina for those that want to stay at that side of the water.

Hopefully Old Point Comfort Marina can make a smooth transition for the benefit of the boaters and not have some private concern see this as a chance to gouge the public because of the situation.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
guess it's a good time to be in the slip business ..... high demand and lack of supply

·
Registered
120 Posts
When I spoke with someone a couple months ago who was very knowledgable and conversant on the transition, he told me the marina was the one money maker on the base, and the powers that be recognized the value of maintaining it's integrity. Giving slip renters notice makes no sense at all.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I feel for my friends at Old Point Comfort Marina. Having your slip yanked out from under you is NOT a good thing. Fortunately, there are MANY slips available here on the Southside at least. While Carlos has said that NAB Little Creek is full, right outside of the base, where I am at Bay Point Marina, we still have quite a few open slips, as well as at Little Creek Marina. The beauty of Bay Point is that the facilities are well maintained, with an attentive staff who values your patronage. At Bay Point, we're a short walk from the beach, and we have a nice pool that's open from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Hopefully we'll get someone in to take over the restaurant soon, as the new deck is a great place to enjoy an early evening libation.

If anyone is interested in coming over to Bay Point, I'd love to be the one to refer you.

Joe

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Often when a business like this turns over, it gives notice to the renters so it has the ability to control the property, but then gives the existing users who want to stay, a new lease without interruption, or lets them stay month to month. So the current users have to deal with uncertainty but I haven't heard that they actually have to leave.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Often when a business like this turns over, it gives notice to the renters so it has the ability to control the property, but then gives the existing users who want to stay, a new lease without interruption, or lets them stay month to month. So the current users have to deal with uncertainty but I haven't heard that they actually have to leave.
Home Cookin, in this case the post is closing and so is the marina. There are no new owners yet. The marina closes shop on 1 Aug 11 as an MWR facility. I'm sure somebody in the future will buy the marina but all the boat owners will have to find new homes until that day arrives.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
So is this a Federal run marina that is costing the tax payers money to stay in business because they offer a reduced rate from the local private sector and cant make a profit ? And the federal nest is being pulled so they cant stay in operation?

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
...makes money for the Army that is used for other moral purposes.
Mike, are you sure all those other purposes were moral, or just good for morale? (Sorry, I couldn't help myself).

Do feel very badly for all who may be displaced, and hope they find alternative slippage easily.

Brian

·
Registered
5 Posts
I taught my 3 boys how to fish at the old point comfort marina right there on the dock next to our boat. I caught the largest croakers I have ever caught and even a couple of decent rock fish right next to the boat. We plan to stay but I wish they would hurry up and decide what they are going to do. It is a great marina and an ideal location.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts