Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted Today, 11:10 AM

Found a new lake that might be good in the cold weather when all the algie will be gone from covering the lake. I found a few spots were I could flip the purple worm in. On the first flip I landed this 3-4 LB. Bass. I am starting to enjoy looking on map and finding lakes and ponds. It's all new areas. I feel like a kid again learning new places. I should have taken pictures of lake. Looks good, but people live all around the lake. hard to fish.
View attachment 179122 View attachment 179130 Yes I did release the bass. Always do.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Andy,
I've been following some of your recent fishing adventure's.
I've think we may have a similar fishing history!

In response to the above post.

Andy that's how I learned to catch bass 50 + years ago.
Want to hear the rest of the story?
You may find it interesting.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Andy,
I've been following some of your recent fishing adventure's.
I've think we may have a similar fishing history!

In response to the above post.

Want to hear the rest of the story?
You may find it interesting.
Yes I would like to hear the rest of the story. Wow! 50+ years ago. That's about when I was hooked on bass fishing. View attachment 181722 View attachment 181730

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Want to hear the rest of the story.
I fished and crabbed the bay in the early years with my parents and at about age 14 started watching Gat-About-Gatis and Uncle Homer on TV, by age 16 I had Joined BASS and I was on my way. My first boat was a car topper and elect motor then an aluminum 14’ with trailer and 9.9 Merc. My first Bass Boat was a MFG 16' glass.
In 72 when my dad passed I sold his 23’ wood work boat “Any-Time” we kept in Rockhall Creek Deale and with the $600 I put down on a new 16’ Ouachita Bass Boat with a Merc 50 then joined a Bass Club in MD Hug- Hauling Bass Masters later became So MD Bass Masters. I began collecting the annual Bass Pro Shops Catalog in 72 when they first started and I was hooked. In 78 I moved up to a 18’ Hydro-sport and by 82 my pride & joy the 18’ Ranger. By then I was a bass addict, all I thought about was Bass Fishing. Fished several Ray Scott, MD & Va. Tours while guiding on the Potomac, Back Bay in Va Beach, Lake Gaston the Chic & James Rivers. ”Legal Limit Guide Service” was what I went by. In the summer of 1985 a divorce ended it all along with the fishing addiction.
In the later 80’s I Had begun fishing the Bay again with 2 buddies on their Grady. I started crabbing I think that was in 88-89 and began renting a boat at Schnaitman’s after I purchased a 9 ½ hp OMC outboard form Gootees Marine. I then rented Tee Lee’s (Son of Lester Lee) in the book Beautiful Swimmer commercial crab license and was selling crabs to Chuck at the Marina. Later that year I purchased a C Crab License. I would take my fiancée and her girls crabbing I remarried in 91. One Saturday while on the river I came across a 25’ commercial crab boat that was for sale. 2 weeks later it was mine and in a slip at Crab Alley Marine. In 99 I received my Captains License and purchased the first of later to be 2 MD Guide Licenses. But salt water Guiding never really paned out. I fished and crabbed out of that boat for 8 years till on a hot summer Friday July 15, 2005 at Mayo Ridge Marine on the South River in the slip preparing to go crabbing before sunrise she blew up with me on board. Both of my feet were ¾ separated at the ankles. It is believed gas fumes in the bilge ignited. Over the course of 14 months the loss of my right led below the knee and 27 operations I was up again in a wheel chair then a walker and in 19 months I was back to work. Tidal Fish Members in September 2005 had a fund raiser for me as part of the annual Crab Feast. It was the most Humbling Experience of My life although I was unable to attend and still bed ridden. Paula Wood with the Capital Gazette wrote a front page story about it all. In February 2006 now in a wheel chair I was able to attend the Annual Snood/oyster fest again all very humbling to see all the great members and well-wishers. To this day I owe a Debt of Gratitude to TF Members.
By 2008 I was back and able to purchase a 2005 21’Judge Crabber Special with a 90 4 stroke Honda, no more I/O’s for me. With the addition of a line puller and Patten-Dipper I was set to harvest again. I became the Fish Monger at the Sunday Bowie Market selling seafood, homemade crab cakes and Capt. Dales Cream of Crab Soup, as well as steaming crabs on site or live to take home. I did that for 4 years till age began to catch up with me.
With Age now 68 and the legs not as steady I sold the rig last fall 2014 and like you I’m now boat less. I fish with my son on his boat a very nice 22’ center console Grady and crab with Tidal Fish Friends from time to time. And occasionally bass fish on the Potomac with one of the Son in Laws in his fancy 22’ Ranger.
And that my Friend is the rest of the Story.
Now how about you, would you care to share your story?
It would be fun if more old-timers shared their Fishing History with the Board.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Capt. Dale, what a great story. I am so glad your better now. A few people I knew had the same thing happen to them. had their boat blow up. I don't know Lester Lee, but I seen him around a lot. I lived and commercial fished in that area for about 25 or 30 years. Sunny Shultz at Fisherman's Inn Restaurant wanted to buy my License for $$$$$$$$$ but I gave them to my friend that cut my grass for years for free. Beautiful Swimmers, one of my favorite books. You did some of the same things I did. I joined the Blue & Gray bass Club for a little while, but got out fast. They just got in my way. I also fished in a Ray Scott tournament in Pickens S.C. on Lake Keowee. Guess who I fished with first day. Bill Dance. Back in them day they paid ten spots. I came in 11th. I also got to know Roland Martin. We fished the same waters when we were young. I fished out of his fish camp when I was in FL. When I was into bass fishing I most times fished the Susquehanna River, the Flats, and North East River. Then I got salt in my blood and moved to Kent Island and fished all over the Chesapeake Bay, and Delaware Bay. Did that for about 25 or 30 years. Sold a lot of fish. I was only allowed to commercial fish two or three days a week, I can't remember. On the other days I worked at Fisherman's Market. That is where I sold a lot of rockfish. I delivered seafood for them. I had a few stops in Bowie. Maybe you bought some seafood from me. WOW! it's no end to this. I could go on and on, but I got to stop. Going to hit the sack. Here is a few pictures. Thanks! View attachment 182154 View attachment 182162 View attachment 182170 View attachment 182178 View attachment 182186

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Very cool Andy.
I knew Roland when he lived in MD and worked at Atlas Sporting Goods in DC.
You were fortunate to live at and fish "Big O" in those early years.
I like you have so many fond fishing memories, if I never catch another
Lord knows I caught my share!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I got to meet Roland also, was in a tournament Hank Parker sponsored at lake Seminole. Was there for a week Hank was awesome was able to get his autograph on pic taken on stage at weigh in. Also still have card for Jack Wingates that Roland signed "bass wishes".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts