Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using Gamakatsu Octopus circle hooks for many years and have been pleased up until last saturday night at the high rise. We had just boated a nice 41 incher around the change of tide under the lights when my trevala/avet bobber gets a tug. I feel some good head shakes so I bring her tight and she's hooked up and coming to the surface. the fish ran over to the boat anchored next to us and made a huge splash. I then realized the fish was coming to the boat so I gain line. As the fish entered our spreader lights I realized this was a real big hog. The fish saw the boat and before we could get the net ready this "green fish" started ripping line off my avet MXL and made a bee line for the bottom. Once she got to the bottom the fish was gone. I reeled in what was left thinking the fish snapped the line but to my surprise I reeled in a hook that broke in the bend. I shook my head and knew that I wasn't applying too much pressure. How could this happen?? I suppose it was just a bad hook because it was new from my montauk trip in sept. Anyone else have a supposed quality hook snap?

We did land a big one the next night as it got tangled in the anchor line. The fish could have easily broke my line but was dumb and came up to the lights to have a net put underneath her. She was a dumb 42 inch fish that was no where near the size of the one that broke the hook. I felt very fortunate to get this fish but still wonder about the big one that got away.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
There can always be one bad apple in the bunch . I've never had those hooks break , but I did have a big bluefish damn near destroy one while live lining . What size hook was it ?

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Funny that you had this problem......My buddy was telling me about a Gamugotzu hook failure he had on a big Redfish and he was hesitant to buy them when I told him which ones to buy for our 18hr offshore trip.

Bill

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Sounds like a "Fish Story" to me!:D Did'nt know you were headed down that way Steve.Never have done the Night Fishing down there,Shame about that Fish.Sounds like my Luck.Went again today,Solo...Trolling.:D Could'nt get close to the 45/35 of last Sat.:wacko:. Had 1 @ 21 today and lost 2 Rigs. [Mike]

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
I don't like Gami Circles at all. They are not heavy enough and will not hold a point more worth a darn when fishing the wash. Switched over to Owner SSW Circles a couple of years ago and never looked back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts