Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may sound strange to some of you, but I really want to catch a longnose gar. I was catfishing on the James the other day and spotted some surfacing, and was just wondering if anyone out there could give me any info on the best way to fish for them. Even if you have just caught them on accident, any info will be much appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Use To Slay Them In The Pony Pasture...medium Minnnows Or Large....about A #2...free Float Or Cork...drop Off Current Or Calm Water Near Shore With Fallen Trees...let Em Take It Til It Sings...if You Need specifics I Can Help Ya

·
Registered
533 Posts
We used to catch them by catching small bluegill plucking them in the head then stuff a small stone in there mouth and put a big hook through there lips and float it on a cork. Once we would hook them we would free spool them because they are hard to hook then reel up the slack. They are called poor mans tarpon for a reason and will readily greyhound out of the water the biggest I caught was nearly 5.5 feet long. This time of the year the smaller males are surrounding the females which are much bigger in order to spawn. So I would always wait to fish for them during the lazy days of summer. And yes you can eat them but the eggs of the female are toxic.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
a 3-4" piece of cotton rope (untwisted) works as an artifcial. They get their teeth snagged in it. Morris creek at the chikohominy WMA has alot of gar. Leaving the boat ramp, there is a bend just a 1/2 mile to the right. Always dozens of gar surfacing there in the summer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've fished for them in the summer in a tributary of the York. We saw them surfacing all day but only got 3 to bite. We were mostly using a hookless lure designed specifically for gar although I think I tried everything my tackle box that day and they didn't really seem interested. I guess they weren't feeding. I think my friend got the the hookless lures off a website. I believe the guys name who sells them is Gar Man Jack. Check it out. His website may put you on the right track to catching them. I have done some research and it sounds like they are really hard to hook. The hookless lure is supposed to get tangled in their teeth. It didn't work for us but I admit that I set the hook out of habit when they bit and probably ripped it out of its mouth. I think the other option is to gut hook them with a treble hook. I had no interest in eating them so the hookless lure seemed like the way to go. Also the unweighted ones cast really nice on a fly rod and have really nice action in the water (especially considering it is just a combed out piece of rope). Hope you manage to catch some. I'll probably give it another shot this summer.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I saw one swimming around with his head out of water like he was looking to see what was going on in our boat....my buddy thought it was a snake swimming at first....
Is that normal...???? I've seen thousands of them in the cooper river in charleston sc.....and roll alot down in lake matamaskeet nc.....but this one was funny looking swimming with his head out the water like a snake......

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks alot for all of the input and information! Sorry about the late reply though. You guys really hooked me up, I have a much better idea of what to do now. It sounds like I better wait until the summer to try for them, and thanks for letting me know about some spots. That is pretty cool that morris creek has alot of gar, I drive by their all the time but have never fished it. I would rather not gut hook them since I will release them, so I guess the rope lure is the best option for me as well, but I am a little worried about trying to UNTANGLE the rope once the fish is landed without losing a finger. But hey, I'll just worry about that later, I have to hook one first. But yeah, thanks again everybody and I'll try and find Gar Man Jack's website, take it easy.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
To remove the hookless lure you can take a piece of 3/4 inch plywood and put a whole in it about 1 inch diameter. Run his snout through the hole then while his mouth is open shove a wooden dowl in between his jaws so that when he bites down the jaws are wedged open and won't fall back through the hole. Then you can carefully remove the tangled lure. Cut bait also works well for them, let them run with it till they stop, reel up the slack then set the hook hard as you can. Cut p erch or spot seem to work well for me where I am.

--John

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can catch them with small bluegills or minnows. They are hard to hook, but if you let them run for a little bit with the bait, they will flip it around in there mouth and work it down towards the back. this is when you can get the hook in the corner of there mouth. My friend and I have caught a ton of them this way. They will always hit live bait. Check anywhere around pony pasture, or northbank statepark, you should have no problem finding them.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Gar

We just used cut shad a little smaller than you use for catfish and fished a creek channel off the main channel.

This is my buddy Mike Faulkner holding one up he caught.

We caught about 15 that day, the biggest was 52", and could have caught more but wanted to fish for cats. Live minnows would be the best bait, large shinners. Good luck.

mini moe

·
Registered
32 Posts
Catsting small Rapala's for them with medium light tackle gear is always a hit especially in the summer. Typically these is easier done when sight fishing for them. It may not work in cloudly water.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I've caught them on the pocamoke and a natcoke on 6 inch rebels. while fishing for bass. I would normally see them rolling in the middle of the river. but I found out they like the little feeders as well as the shad when their are bait up near the shore. But like what some one all ready said live bait under a cork is the best I've seen used for consistance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey everybody, I figured I would dig up this thread and add a recent report. I found Gar Man Jack's website, www.garmanjack.net, and ordered one of his rope lures. I went with FinaddictMike's suggestion and launched my kayak on Morris Creek. I want to thank you for letting me in on that spot, as sure enough I saw plenty of gar surfacing and jumping. It took alot of casts, but after a couple of hits I finally made a quality cast towards a big gar I had just spotted. Sure enough, it took the rope lure and the fight was on, when it started taking drag and pulling the yak I knew I had a decent one. After a fun fight, the fish surfaced and I had a gar on my hands that went atleast 40 inches. At this point I was a bit unsure of how to handle him considering I was in a kayak, so I admired him for a bit in the water and reached for my camera as he seemed docile. Apparently he was a bit camera shy, as he then proceeded to take a downward dive and pulled himself out of the rope lure. Oh well, my first gar and my biggest fish ever so I was more than happy! I then paddled back to the ramp with a nice successful feeling. Any gar reports from this summer?

·
Registered
887 Posts
I am usually not very willing to give the location of a honey hole away but I do not think that gar are a fish to be too protective over. On low tide go up Tomahund Creek, pass my brothers house on the right, keep around the first right turn and the giant Captain John Smith cypress tree, jog back to the left, then a sharper left turn after passing by the woods on the right. You will come up on a 90' turn to the right where the mouth of a small creek dumps out from the left, it is called Nanny's gut. Right in that bend there by that gut it is about 15-16 ' on low tide. The gar stack in there like cord wood and break the surface. Throw a shiner minnow, under a cork, out into the school and hold on. Last time I was out my stiletto advantage prop chopped up a biggun.

Thank me later,

Kepone:yes:

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
use floating artificial crank baits and stuff , gars will slam em !!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts