Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I have: 182C and Mapsource/Bluechart Americas CD.
What I think I need: Data card (size for Cheaspeake?) and programmer.
Questions: When I program the data card and put it in the unit do I need to do something with the serial number of the unit or will it just recognize the data card?
Can I program waypoints and routes on my computer in the mapsource program then program them to the card so they show up on the GPS unit? I read somewhere that only the maps get programmed to the card? If that is the case I think I would be better off just buying a preprogrammed card for the Chesapeake.
Any advice would be great, Thanks.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I use the Chesapeake card MUS006R. There are others for this area Norfolk to Charleston MUS007R, Chesapeake MUS504L which is the bay and offshore. Carolinas MUS502L which includs the bay and offshore to Florida. Also Mid Atlantic Canyons Bathymetic MUS301B.
My unit reads the card as soon as you insert it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Depending on the card you have :if blank, whatever you have selected from your mapsource cd regions waypoints and unlocked map regions go directly to the card
If you are using a older preprogramed card when you upload the new data too it all other information is over written so if there are any special waypoints you want to have save them to the mapsource program first then do the update or should I say upgrade to a newer version
I hope this makes sense
Greg

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
For moving way points and routes you'll need the data card and card reader. If you are only moving way points and routes then you can get by with a 32 meg card. If you plan on moving charts you'll need something larger. You can find the data card/reader as a package on the internet for between $60 and $70 the last time I looked. Sit and type your numbers in on Map Source then export them to the card. Take the card and load it into your machine and download the numbers. After that you don't need the data card in your machine so you can load a chart chip if you want. At the end of the day you can load your track and any new points you found back to the data chip. After that you can clear out your machine. That way you don't have to worry about some low life coming on your boat and stealing your numbers.

I'd just buy a seperate preprogrammed card for the charts, I use the bathy chip and it's great other than it stops at the entrance to the rivers and such in the bay instead of showing all the detail going back up in them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts