Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use either one of these units? I am pretty close to selling my boat and I plan to get a semi custom boat after that and need to decide on electronics. I have always had two units, both GPS/FF combos, but figure I can get one nice large unit instead with this boat...I am also looking at the new Lowrance HDS units..
Thanks

·
Registered
563 Posts
My fishing buddy has a 4210 on his Hydra-Sports. He has the Digital Radar (4KW-not the open array). It is absolutely excellent, if you get one and you fish offshore, make sure you get the bathyspheric chart chip, that is the best part of the whole set-up IMHO. His fishfinder is a Furuno 585 with a 1 KW thru-hull transducer--the FF on the Garmin doesn't get very good reviews.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'm having a Judge 27' CC built and went with the Garmin 3210 and the Furuno 585 depth finder. Garmin makes a lousy depth finder. Can't wait to see them at work.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Garmin 4208 with the Furuno sounder as well.

Life is too short to share screens between applications but if I had too…... Furuno NavNet 3D with a 12" MFD :thumbup:
FURUNO NavNet 3D

·
Registered
477 Posts
Had to replace the electronics on my boat this year & I went with the Garmin 3210 for gps and fishfinding. I figured the screen was big enough to split screen & do both. The sounder with mine is the 1KW unit. After I used it a few times I decided 2 things: 1, I don'r really care for Garmins fishfinder, & 2, I down't like split screening, even with a 10.4" screen. I added the Furuno 585 & now am a happy camper. The furuno is the bomb when it comes to fishfinding & the through-hull transducer could be changed over with an adapter (although I added a 'ducer for the Furuno so I have redundancy.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I installed a Garmin 4208 on my boat this spring. Thought about getting a 4210 but they were not released when I wanted to pull the trigger and I was too impatient. I love the GPS on the 4208. The FF I think is adequate but not great but that could also be due in part to the operator. Have tossed around the idea of a seperate FF. If your going to go with Garmin I would definitley go with the 4200 series. The price difference is not that much for alot better resolution and screen. Also the 3200 is an older series and will not be supported as long as the 4200 series will. I could be wrong but the 3200 may already be on the way out. Looking at BOE's website they only list the 3206.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Oh Yea

Yes, I have the 4208 with the GSD 22 and the Airmar transducer,,,, and to top it off the G2 chip for my area... I was totally amazed at the detail and acc. of the sonar. I love it like have loved all my previous Garmins in the past. Very acc. , very detailed, and the screen is clear in direct sunlight and in very low light. I really can't say enough about it. I'll add my opinion on the touch screens....... why in HELL would you want to smudge your screen???? Don't understand it and nor would I ever pay for one......

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
I'll add my opinion on the touch screens....... why in HELL would you want to smudge your screen???? Don't understand it and nor would I ever pay for one......
Touchscreen operation is widely accepted as the way to go in auto navigation systems. Why not a boat?

Four years ago we changed over to all touch screen interfaces in an industry that makes the cockpit of a boat look like a clean room. The dirty screen concerns never really materialized and those that regularly use the equipment would never go back to push button operation.

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
I run a garmin 3010c with my boat. It is the same unit I had on my last boat. Only thing I did this time was upgrade to the Garmin sounder box to the new GSD22 digital sounder module and went with an Airmar tilted element transducer. It is a lot better than the older GSD20 and GSD21 analog boxes and only about $200 more than the analog units. I believe the new digital sounder to be on par with my fathers Raymarine c80 package -- only the gps blows away the Ray. I personally highly recommend the Garmin units and like the GSD22 sounder module.

Furuno makes GREAT stuff. The fishfinder is still tops on the block. GPS is ok. However it is quite a bit more coin than the others too. Unless you are a deep water offshore fisherman, I think the Garmin units are the best on the market for the money considering reliability.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
that is some great info on the Garmins.
anyone have any experience with the Lowrance LCX-28-HD?
i am leaning to one of those or the garmin this spring

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
I almost went with the Lowrance LCX113HD for my boat. However, I had received so much bad feedback from lowrance owners about the reliability of their units and horrible experiences with their customer service I decided to stick with the Garmin on my new boat. This was the feed back I received from thehulltruth.com, sportfisherman.com, bassbarn.com. I will say that the most positive feedback I received on the units was here on tidalfish.com. Too bad because I liked the looks of fishfinder.

I will also say that lowrance was just bought out by a company named Navico. They own Northstar, Simrad, Lowrance, Eagle, etc. so the reliability and customer service may have improved over what experiences were shared with me. I just decided to stick with Garmin based on the comfort level.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all,
Mark (Gitzit) I run Lowrance on my current boat and am intrigued by the new HDS', demoed the LCX 113, nice unit, I am probably going to go with two separate units...one of the places I'm talking to about boats will install all my units free, so I figure why share a screen!! I'll probably run a Lowrance for my FF and one of the Garmins for a GPS, mainly becuase I have software and cards for both!

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
i was thinking about 2 units also.
i'm not really a fan of combo units because if one fails they both fail.
i would really like to have 2 but cost is obviously a factor and so is space for me on my small center console.
i'm not sure if i would rather have (2) 5"-display units or (1) 7"-unit with a split screen.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
i was thinking about 2 units also.
i'm not really a fan of combo units because if one fails they both fail.
i would really like to have 2 but cost is obviously a factor and so is space for me on my small center console.
i'm not sure if i would rather have (2) 5"-display units or (1) 7"-unit with a split screen.
My fish finder has a 6.5" display and I couldn't see using it in split screen mode on daily basis. I'd have to go with the 2 x 5"

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Wow. Didnt know it was that long ago. Was told it was a recent aquisition by a sales guy at Bass Pro Shops... Figures the info was wrong.
Probably the same guy that was trying to convince me to sell my Furuno. Said they where too hard to use and I'd be better off with unit X over here that just happened to be on sale. :rolleyes:

I asked if he had ever used a Furuno and never got an answer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts