Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience getting waypoints out of a garmin GPS to a PC? I just got a GPS 76 handheld. I'd like to offload my waypoints from the old 48 to the new one. Although Garmin provides a PC cable it's an old 9 pin and everything is USB these days, but they'll sell me an adapter cable for $60!!!! Before I waste money on an adapter I'd like to know if the download upload thing works or if the new software will even work on the old ones.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a GPS 76 and I think you can only use the cable to upload the latest version of the software and info from the CD-ROMs. I may be wrong but I don't think this model has any downloading capability.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Hey Darren, how about you and Bill let me borrow your units so I can see if they work on my PC?:D

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Hey Darren, how about you and Bill let me borrow your units so I can see if they work on my PC?
:roflguy: :hysterical: :roflguy: :hysterical: :roflguy: :hysterical:

:nono: Let me know when you find that wreck log and we'll talk. :eek2:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow thanks for the links- there are Garmin cables they don't even have on their own website (or maybe I can't find them) $14.95 is a lot better than 60! The unit to unit cable is interesting too.

I did find a 9 pin serial connection in a Kensington Docking station we have-tried it but the laptop doesn't seem to recognize it like it would a separate drive.

There's a CD on Garmin's site called "Trip & waypoint manager" that's $30 sounds like it might be what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Darren. That's a cheaper way to go than the bluechart. Checked RadioShack for the adapter and they want $40 and said reliability was kinda iffy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts