Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did the high gas prices last summer/season effect any of your boating/ fishing trips? Or, did they effect any upgrades you had planned for your boats?

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
it definately encouraged me to drop lines closer to home and spend less time running to fishing grounds. But considering I only spend about $1000/year on gas, a few hundred more wasn't too much of a killer.

Marriage has put a more significant hold on any planned upgrades..... :helpsmilie:

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
When you factor in all the costs of a fishing trip-a few dollars extra for fuel won't deter you from running to where to fish are.It would be foolish to buy the boat then not use it because fuel costs too much.One thing I did was to do a combo crabbing/fishing trip overnight alot.Guess that saves some fuel.Our season is too short to let high gas prices stop us from going. Skip

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Wow. I'm suprised that it hasn't impacted anyone. I guess prices aren't high enough.

P.S.: Keep in mind that prices this summer are likely to eclipse anything we've seen in the past. The primary reason for this is consumer consumption rates that have changed little over the past year, coupled with a continued tight supply. If something goes badly wrong -- like a hurricane disrupting crude supply routes for an extended period, some additional geopolicitcal factor, or refineries getting knocked offline, then don't be suprised if regular grade goes above $4/gallon (and much higher at the marinas).

·
Registered
441 Posts
Last time i filled my boat (HOLDS 120 GALLONS) in dec 2006 diesel was $2.49 at annapolis.
Gas was $3.29 Gallon same marina, glad i dont hava a outboard. oh and my last trip was over 100 miles roundtrip good thing my boat only burns 4-5 gallons an hour 26kts cruise.
anyway I plan on many long distance trips this year. Id much rather ride in the boat 2 hrs than trailer 1 hour( than another hour to launch etc etc).
Last trip from ocean city to wash canyon was 40 gallons burn @ $2.49 gallon = $99.60 shweet. now i have beer $

Bill

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Wow. I'm suprised that it hasn't impacted anyone. I guess prices aren't high enough.
I'll bet it impacts way more then you think and it's probably keeping a lot of people off the water. Last year when I spoke with a few people at the marina, I was told their gas sales were way down. I spoke with a few others at different marinas and was told, a lot of people now just sit at the dock with their friends, in their boats, to party instead of running their boats.

If prices are $3+, it'll happen again this year and you'll see more dock parties. In fact, last year, I saw a very large increase in people asking for HOs here.

- Dae

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Honestly, it did not affect me very much at all.

Lets be honest, at where I am in my life, I'll just start taking chicks to Outback instead of Ruth Chris to save a few bucks. After all the expenses of fishing, whats an extra grand over the cost of fuel for summer. Most of my intense fishing is donw before May or after October anyway, so, I don't even run that much when fuel is expensive anyway. Four dollars or whatever aint too bad, now if it gets over 5 or so I quess we will start having problems.

Now if you have a family and kids I can see where it would be different.

·
Banned
859 Posts
it depends what you feel you need to enjoy the water. if your mindset is that you need a 25ft+ boat wif 1 or 2 225 hp motors, well that is your poor forethought.

if you realize that all you need is a 14ft boat wif 3.5 hp motor, you can fish everyday for .35 cents.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Last 4 years of gas consumption

2003 $847 for 187 hours of engine run time, paid $1.73 to 1.99 a gallon
2004 $1,000 for 167 hours of engine run time paid $1.99 to 2.60 a gallon
2005 $3,200 for 270 hours of engine run time paid 2.80 to 4.15 a gallon
2006 $3,000 for 267 hours of engine run time paid 2.67 to 3.77 a gallon

I guess it didnt make much of a difference to me, with a bigger boat ussually had a compliment of 4 fisherman most of the time, so it gets split a little more.

What I want to know is before the election and even a couple months after gas prices were coming down with rumours of it getting below 2 bucks by summer. It was headed that way until the last 3 weeks when it is up 40 cents a gallon. I guess the politicans are secure for another couple of years.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
If I were a guide or a charter capt. it would probaby have an affect on the bottom line but as a rec fisherman the higher price really isn't a concern to me. I'm still going to boat and fish as before.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
It effected the size of my wallet but I didnt change any plans or short change anything. 200 gallon tank was shocking:wacko: the first time but after that I had a idea of the cost.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
It didn,t affect the amount of trips I went on. I actually fished more (by boat) then most years. but it definitely affected most boaters. one of the main reasons I went so much was becuase it was so awesome to go out and (at times) not see another boat for as far as my eyes could see. :D you gotta get it while the gettins good:D

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
It kept me sort of close to home, it was more of a combo. of gas prices and unsure wether my trailer was good for long hauls.:cool2:

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Higher gas prices definately affected me. It increased my HO requests a bunch. I also didn't trailer as much and stayed closer to home. Made more friends though:)) ------------------

1 - 19 of 19 Posts