Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boat is on a trailer in a boat yard where I can't take it out to take advantage of the price of gas now. The question is I have 5 5 gallon cans in the shed. Would it hurt the motor to put some gas in now because of the price and put in stablizer or anything else you think I should. I hear so many different treads about you should top off and some say you don't have to. Just trying to save a few bucks if I can fill it up now. Its about half full now. thanks.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
You will hear from both sides (store it full/store it empty). I have always stored mine ALMOST full (leave room for expansion) with the correct amount of Stabil and Startron. I just put the boat away at the end of Dec. and I expect to start using it near end of March. I replace the 10 micron filter in the spring and try to use the gas up as quick as possible. My buddies love this because we get on the water to do a lot of C/R. Once I get my tank down to about 1/8 tank; I start putting in fresh gas. I hope I've saved some money by filling with $1.49 gas at the end of the season. Best of luck to you. 5th (Marty)
p.s. Make sure your 5 gallon cans are very clean; you would hate to introduce crud to your tanks by trying to save a few bucks.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
I always used to store mine almost full, but that was before this rotten E10 fuel we have now. It starts to break down after only a couple of weeks. I would wait til Spring and put fresh fuel in . It will eliminate any problems you might encounter. Besides you wont be saving that much per gallon.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I would'nt worry much about fuel prices rising at this time........people are being laid off daily which means alot less fuel usage.......low demand=low prices.

·
Registered
955 Posts
thinks, I think I will wait until spring
Just make sure you know where you're water separator/filters are and have a spare set on board. You will get some condensation in your tank with it empty, but I also left mine empty due to the ethanol phase separating in a short time. Tom

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
You looking to play the fuel price market ? If you know which way the prices are going to go between now and spring, then use the money you'd put in the tank to buy some futures contracts and just buy a new boat in the spring with the profits.

·
Premium Member
26,290 Posts
Be careful taking jugs into a boatyard/marina.Most DO NOT allow it for safety/insurance and enviromental issues.

I'd wait until spring to fill up.Best is too try and use most of your "winter" fuel before filling up with fresh in springtime.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
E-10 doesn't store well. I'd siphon it out and burn it up in the car . Fill up fresh in the spring.

If you can't afford gas and 1/2 tank is gonna make or break you..... Sell the boat.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all the responses, I'm going to do what Skip saids, take it down in the spring then fill up with fresh gas. Not worth the chance to save a few bucks. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Here is a good write up on E-10 from the makers of Soltron. It confirms what I have observed and practiced for the past 3-4 years without incidence. Fresh gasoline has the ability to absorb up to .5% water, and therefore, you can "dry" out a fuel tank by just using and refilling the tank. I put 20-30 gallon of new fuel in the tank each outing and have not had a fuel related problem since the introduction of E-10.

http://www.a1distributors.net/files/Ethanol_dos_and_donts.pdf

1 - 13 of 13 Posts