Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm sure y'all are tired of this topic (I know I am) but here I go again.

After the winter from hell I finally got the old tank out of my '77 Grady. Thx to TF'ers suggestions I researched a bunch of potential manufacturers and finally settled on Atlantic Coastal Welding (Speedy Tanks) in NJ.

Talked with them today to place an order. All's good except I heard one thing I really didn't want to hear. The owner told me that all the existing foam in the tank compartment (btm, sides, ends) needs to come out. POOP!

The existing foam is in amazingly good condition. And they're gonna make the new tank from the original manufacturers drawing so it should be really close in size. Which all made me hope that maybe I could get away with not removing/replacing the foam.

The thoughts, opinions and experiences of you helpful and knowledgeable TF'ers would, as always, be greatly appreciated.

Bob
Grady 20

PS - Deep down i know replacing the foam is the right thing to do. I'm probably just being cheap and lazy!

·
Registered
147 Posts
There is a boat load of good information on the web. I just took my old tank out and I couldn't believe how heavy my water logged foam was. I think you have options to new foam or no foam. I've seen both. Research it.I went with a poly tank. Totally different set up.If the foam is dry all the way around that's impressive.If not gotta go.I am by no means an expert.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
A concern I would have about the old foam is that, although the new tanks are tabbed to original specs, there's a good chance that there will be minute size differences.
The issue with this is that it will allow movement of the tank in the pocket of foam.
Which could cause problems down the road.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Get the foam away from the tank. Foam ruins tanks. Do it right this time so you don't have to do it again. I used a small shovel to remove mine, I didn't find it very difficult.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts