Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't forget to save your gas receipts and file them for a refund before they are a year old. Get the refund form on your computer from DMV.com

·
Registered
77 Posts
Gas tax question

Do you have to purchase the gas from a marina to get the refund or can you go to any gas station, fill your boat and save the receipts?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I'm filling out the form and its states that the purchaser's name must be on each invoice/ticket/receipt and my name does not appear on any of the receipts. Does thes mean that I'm out of luck, is this required, or can I just write my name on the receipt? My receipts are the standard credit card kind. Thanks

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
I'm filling out the form and its states that the purchaser's name must be on each invoice/ticket/receipt and my name does not appear on any of the receipts. Does thes mean that I'm out of luck, is this required, or can I just write my name on the receipt? My receipts are the standard credit card kind. Thanks
I believe it asks for the sellers name on the receipt not yours.

http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/ts217.pdf

Dennis:))

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I believe it asks for the sellers name on the receipt not yours.

Thats is one of the things but when I was reviewing the form and the first thing listed is that it must include the purchaser's name on the receipt. I guess I'll send them in and hope they will take them. Maybe someone will know if that is manditory because none of my receipts have my name on them and I'm not even sure if I reguested my name to be on the receipt that gas stations are even equiped to do so.

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
Thats is one of the things but when I was reviewing the form and the first thing listed is that it must include the purchaser's name on the receipt. I guess I'll send them in and hope they will take them. Maybe someone will know if that is manditory because none of my receipts have my name on them and I'm not even sure if I reguested my name to be on the receipt that gas stations are even equiped to do so.
I still do not see where they ask for your name on the receipts. It asks for the applicant's name and boat owners name on the form.

When it come to the receipts I only see where they ask for the sellers name.

Course I am going a little blind in my old age.:))

Can you point out on the form where they ask for your name on the receipts ?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I still do not see where they ask for your name on the receipts. It asks for the applicant's name and boat owners name on the form.

When it come to the receipts I only see where they ask for the sellers name.

Course I am going a little blind in my old age.:))

Can you point out on the form where they ask for your name on the receipts ?

For some reason I cannot get the image to come up from DMV but its not on the form its on the instructions.
#8 Invoices/tickets/receipts must meet the following requirements:
* The purchaser's name must be on each invoice/ticket/receipt.
* The name of the purchaser's must be the same as the name on the refund
application.

This is directly off the instructions for the form and is dated (04/03/2006). Did you file for a refund and did your receipts include your name?

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
Here is what dmv has on their web site.

Fuels Tax Refund
Motor fuel (gasoline and diesel) that is purchased and used in a recreational or pleasure boat or ship or used in commercial watercraft is eligible for a refund of all or part of the Virginia motor fuel tax that was paid. The Virginia tax is 17.5 cents per gallon for gasoline and 16 cents per gallon for diesel.

The fuel must be purchased in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the application must have receipts/tickets/invoices attached that show the:

Exact date of purchase, which cannot exceed 12 months prior to the date of application for refund;

Seller's name and address from which the fuel was purchased;

Number of gallons of fuel purchased (each purchase must be for 5 gallons or more);

Type of fuel purchased; and

Amount paid for fuel (diesel purchases must show the amount of state tax paid).
Photocopies of receipts and receipts marked duplicate are not eligible for a refund. Please be sure your receipts/tickets/invoices meet these requirements when applying for a refund.

Most marinas in Virginia sell diesel fuel that is dyed. Dyed diesel fuel is not subject to the Virginia Fuels tax and therefore, is not eligible for a refund.

The refund for fuel used in boats or watercraft can be requested from the Department of Motor Vehicles by downloading and printing the Application for Fuels Tax Refund for Fuel Used in Boats or Watercraft Form (TS-217).

Fuels tax refunds for agricultural uses, non-highway equipment and other uses permitted by statute can be requested on the Application for Fuels Tax Refund Form (TS-216).

The completed application with attached receipts/tickets/invoices should be mailed to:

Department of Motor Vehicles
Tax Services Fuels Tax Refund Section
P. O. Box 27422
Richmond, Virginia 23261-7422

Additional forms and information may be obtained from the address above or by calling 804-367-0304, 804-367-2198, 804-367-1306 or by email to [email protected].
Start of Page | Start of Content

On the form it self it does not mention that you have to have your name on the receipts.

Number 8 on this form( TS-217 )reads: Mail your completed application and supporting documents to the address in the instructions on the fron of this application.

No I sold my boat last year. Before that I never applied. I had a friend who did the first year they were available. It triggered a state tax audit and that triggered a IRS audit. He thought he had paid all his taxes and was squeaky clean. He ended up getting clobbered.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Here is what dmv has on their web site.

Fuels Tax Refund
Motor fuel (gasoline and diesel) that is purchased and used in a recreational or pleasure boat or ship or used in commercial watercraft is eligible for a refund of all or part of the Virginia motor fuel tax that was paid. The Virginia tax is 17.5 cents per gallon for gasoline and 16 cents per gallon for diesel.

The fuel must be purchased in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the application must have receipts/tickets/invoices attached that show the:

Exact date of purchase, which cannot exceed 12 months prior to the date of application for refund;

Seller's name and address from which the fuel was purchased;

Number of gallons of fuel purchased (each purchase must be for 5 gallons or more);

Type of fuel purchased; and

Amount paid for fuel (diesel purchases must show the amount of state tax paid).
Photocopies of receipts and receipts marked duplicate are not eligible for a refund. Please be sure your receipts/tickets/invoices meet these requirements when applying for a refund.

Most marinas in Virginia sell diesel fuel that is dyed. Dyed diesel fuel is not subject to the Virginia Fuels tax and therefore, is not eligible for a refund.

The refund for fuel used in boats or watercraft can be requested from the Department of Motor Vehicles by downloading and printing the Application for Fuels Tax Refund for Fuel Used in Boats or Watercraft Form (TS-217).

Fuels tax refunds for agricultural uses, non-highway equipment and other uses permitted by statute can be requested on the Application for Fuels Tax Refund Form (TS-216).

The completed application with attached receipts/tickets/invoices should be mailed to:

Department of Motor Vehicles
Tax Services Fuels Tax Refund Section
P. O. Box 27422
Richmond, Virginia 23261-7422

Additional forms and information may be obtained from the address above or by calling 804-367-0304, 804-367-2198, 804-367-1306 or by email to [email protected].
Start of Page | Start of Content
Thanks for the info. That is different from the directions I have so I'll just send them in.

·
Registered
173 Posts
has anyone encountered issues with this, other than those noted in the post, in regards to audits, not being approved anything like that?

CF

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mailed mine in three weeks ago and received my check today. First time filing for the refund. I included a spreadsheet showing # gallons, place of purchase, date of purchase and $ total. :clap: :clap:

Chubman

1 - 14 of 14 Posts