Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hot Ditch
1-30-11
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Another trout report: Managed to get out to enjoy the beautiful day on the water Sunday. My buddy Joe and I hit the Elizabeth River at Chesapeake Yachts, and motored out to cast for speckled trout. We had an array of different lures to try. One jig was sent to me by Stanley Jigs from Huntington, TX (www.fishstanley.com) to try out. They were pretty! We had lots of hits, from both schoolie stripers and trout. The action was not hot, but it was good enough to keep us interested for the entire day.
Later in the day we picked up my buddy Jamal, and headed back out for the afternoon. It was a great day with good friends. I even got sunburned!

I was invited by Dominion Power to attend a news media briefing and fishing event for outdoor writers at the Hot Ditch. I'll let you know how it goes! :thumbup:
See you on the water :)
Water Sky Water resources Plant Natural landscape

Water Sky Smile Cloud Fishing net

Water Boat Watercraft Sky Vehicle
Cool...outriggers?

Water Vertebrate Lake Boat Fin

·
Registered
692 Posts
That's a big fish! I want one over 30, then I"m going to the taxidermy man and gett'n a fiberglass repro! I'm jealous..I was at work :-(

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Glad to see Stanley finally made a 5 inch tail, been using the 7inch tail for two years now. That wedge tail really puts a hell of a vibration in the water and is a great mullet imitator. I lost the last one in the pack I had on a schoolie rock back in November. Bass pro use to sell them, but not any more. Does anyone local carry them? Would love to get my hands on some of those 5 inch tails

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys, it was a great time.
Yes, we released all but one. Most know that's how I usually roll?? :yes:

I have had several folks and tackle shops contact me on those swim baits. The wedge tail has nice action, with vibrant colors. Greg's Bait Barn in Portsmouth is considering carrying them, and Bass Pro Shops contacted me about them as well. They are coming in a few months to chat with local retailers. I'll let you know as they inform me.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Julie:
I am also on Stanley test team. The old "Wedgetail" is not in production right now, but they have inventory still left; just call or e-mail the company and you can order what's left. I have been using this bait for 5 years now and it has been our go-to striper bait, both 5" and 7".
The new product is the wedgetail "Mullet" which is made from the same mold as the old 5" Wedgetail but is much softer and has "pretty" colors, as you would say! I have been smoking stripers and specks on this bait and its been great up around the ditch this year. Definitely catching bigger trout than with other tails I'm using.
I'm rigging these baits with a weedless 6-0 swim bait and also with a treble on a sling crimped with Surflon I make that hangs the treble under the anal area: lets the bait sink slow and horizontal: this has been a really productive rig.
Wayne

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Julie:
I am also on Stanley test team. The old "Wedgetail" is not in production right now, but they have inventory still left; just call or e-mail the company and you can order what's left. I have been using this bait for 5 years now and it has been our go-to striper bait, both 5" and 7".
The new product is the wedgetail "Mullet" which is made from the same mold as the old 5" Wedgetail but is much softer and has "pretty" colors, as you would say! I have been smoking stripers and specks on this bait and its been great up around the ditch this year. Definitely catching bigger trout than with other tails I'm using.
I'm rigging these baits with a weedless 6-0 swim bait and also with a treble on a sling crimped with Surflon I make that hangs the treble under the anal area: lets the bait sink slow and horizontal: this has been a really productive rig.
Wayne
Great! Thanks for the tips! We were using the 1/4 to 1/2 oz jig heads the sent. They worked well with a slow action. Loved the colors!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts