Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im gearing up to fish out of the magothy river and cheasapeke bay for rockfish, any tips on what i should use or where i should go?

·
Premium Member
26,256 Posts
First off - Welcome.

Best advice - get off TF before you become addicted - trust me , it's a bad habit.

If you are fishing before April 16th - be aware of the 6 rod limit / barbless single hook regs.

The Rock seem to stay near the channel edges - out from Magothy you have a nice drop off near Sandy Point lighthouse. This can be good if water is not too dirty. Some years heavy rain up north can muddy the bay.

The other side near LP marker can be good too.

Farther down the bay - the main channel 1/2 mile below the bridge has some neat current breaks. Often early Rock feed here.

As far as lures - umbrella rigs or parachutes with a 9 inch shad often do well. It pays to try various colors and depths until you get a few fish.

Chartruese / white or yellow are standards but purple , glow green or pearl can be good too.

Be sure to watch the meter for baitfish - stay around it. Checking lures about every hour is wise - some years debri can be bad.

Going east / west across channel often is better then north/south. Speed through water should be 2 to just under 3 knots.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts