Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now live in DC and am trying to get ready for Shad. I have an eight weight fly rod but currently only a floating line for it. Doing a bit of research on TF and other places I see that for fishing Fletchers a full sinking line is ideal. I am looking at Scientific Anglers Professional Full Sinking Fly line 8 weight type six. Does any one have any experience with this line?
Part of the reason this line interests me is the price. Am I going to regret going trying to save a few buck?
I also need to pick up flies as I do not tie my own. Any recommendations on places to go in the DC area to buy shad flies?
I am also excited to explore the potomac for other fishing opportunities as well. Thanks

·
Registered
368 Posts
You won't regret spending $$ on the shad run. As far as I am concerned it sone of the best fly fishing opportunities in the area. I would have suggested you visit Urban Anglers for a recommendation but they are closed till April while moving to a new location. The Orvis shop in Arlington can help you out. Ask for Dan he does a fair amount of Sahd fishing. I alsos fish a 8 wt and have a RIO outbound 250grain full sink. Its all about getting down at Fletchers. If you do not get the fly in front of the fish it will be a slow day. I am actually going to move my current line to my 7wt and get a 350gr for the eight. As for flys google Fly Fishing Specialties. They are in California and have a great selection of flys. The nernies banger is awsome but so are most of there others. Shad run most of the year out there and the guy in the stove Dennis fished them alot. Remember short tails catch more fish. Otherwise lots of short strikes. Goos\d luck see you on the water.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'm not familiar with that line. I like the Orvis depth charge and the airflow WF full sink. Not sure of the actual name of the airflow. I'm not as big a fan of lines like the the Orvis Density Compensated as I don't find that they shoot as well. If you have any fly tying experience shad flies aren't too bad to tie yourself. If you can tie up some size 4 or 6 clousers in pink, white, chartruese or any combination thereof you should be good. As said above don't let the fly go a whole lot longer than the the hook bend because these guys take the fly from behind and you can miss a lot of fish with longer flies. Also tie up a lot of them if you are fishing from shore as the Potomac is full of rocks and snags. Be really careful if you wade as the rocks are tricky and the current is too much to risk falling into.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to DC. The shad run is awesome. I use a SA 250-grain Mastery Streamer Express (30-foot sinking head) on either a 7- or 8-weight rod. I generally reach for the 8. I have no experience with the line you are asking about, but I am a big fan of the line I use for the shad run.

Urban Angler should be opening again soon in Alexandria. Not sure if they are offering flies on their website that is still up and running. Any of the area Orvis shops--Tysons, Clarendon, Bethesda should have them. Even the Bass Pro shops up 295 offers shad-specific flies.

But the stuff I use you can find just about anywhere. I like clousers: chartreuse over white and orange over white are probably my two favorites. And I like bucktails like the Mickey Finn and Silver Outcast. And I like Brooks Blondes: blue over white and all pink are my two favorites in that series.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am a big fan of the density comp. line. You get a better hook up, instead of having that big belly of weighted line behind the fly. Also, if you are new to throwing a weighted line. I also go with a very short leader when fishing a sinking line 3-5 foot. I usually will use Maxima ultragreen in a 10lbs. One trick that I have learned is at the end of a swing throw a roll cast towards your fly and then do your overhead cast. This will cause the line to lift in the water column. Nothing like trying to overhand cast a weighted line from 10-15ft deep or more in the water. Flies for shad are EASY, you just need bright colored clousers. Pink/white, Chart/White, Baby Blue/white. Any fly shop in the area will be stocked up with shad flies this time of year. Have fun. Shad are great. You can also catch, white perch, yellow perch, catfish, and stripers. Hope all this helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts