Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Each year in the spring, I put a coat of Collinite #870 Fleetwax on the hull of my Scout. It gives a good protective finish that lasts the entire year (I store my boat in a garage, so the exposure to sunlight is minimal, and I rinse the gelcoat with freshwater after each use).

Liquid Fluid Paint Plastic bottle Personal care

I noticed several years ago that I would get irregularly shaped orange blotches on the decks and inside surfaces. Initially I was puzzled, but later concluded that the orange areas were places where sunscreen had rubbed off the arms or legs of me or my passengers. I usually wear long pants to fish, minimizing contact with my legs and the gelcoats. I saw a few orange marks this summer where my arms had touched the gelcoat. Last week I fished 5 days in a row and had a fishing partner two of those days who wore shorts and had applied a lot of sunscreen (a different brand from the one I use). After those trips, I noticed many more orange marks on the inside surfaces.

Grey Automotive exterior Grille Gas Tints and shades
Wood Automotive exterior Flooring Hood Gas
Dishware Wood Gas Automotive exterior Serveware

Fortunately, I can remove the orange marks by rubbing with more Fleetwax. My questions to the TF community are:

1. Is anyone else observing this staining phenomenon when using Fleetwax?
2. Is anyone else observing the staining when using a different brand of wax/polish?
3. Do you have any suggestions for minimizing future staining?

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
John,

I am careful with sunscreen around my motorboat and my composite (fiberglass) kayaks--it is killer on gelcoat. On my fishing boat I NEVER use the spray stuff because the overspray gets on everything.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Spray 9 worked instantly when fiberglass spot remover did nothing for me. At first I thought it was some kind of rust stains but figured it out as I had a bunch of sun bathers with me the day before. Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.