Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The water is generally public access to all boaters. This event just makes me shocked at how disrespectful some people can be:

I was fishing from shore along a certain stretch of a river with two other buddies. A boat cruises in from about a mile away to fish directly in front of us. The boat was within target distance from my standing location (about 40 yards) and continues to work right where we were fishing. :nono:

We were there first by at least 30 minutes. They stared at us and we stared back- a friendly wave or greeting would have lighten the situation. The crew made no effort to work around us. Furthermore, they make a second drift through the area.

As expected, they skunked. They were speed burning their lures through the water and kept the engine on despite having the perfect drift conditions. On our walk back, we took a few casts and nothing happened.
We already worked through the area and had 6 fish caught and released.

Even fishing crowded places such as the BB sewer pipe, I find most boaters will give everyone else some comfort distance and work their own drift. I fished from several boats before and always take into consideration of fishing an area if there are guys fishing from shore there.

·
Registered
14,082 Posts
The water is generally public access to all boaters. This event just makes me shocked at how disrespectful some people can be:

I was fishing from shore along a certain stretch of a river with two other buddies. A boat cruises in from about a mile away to fish directly in front of us. The boat was within target distance from my standing location (about 40 yards) and continues to work right where we were fishing. :nono:

We were there first by at least 30 minutes. They stared at us and we stared back- a friendly wave or greeting would have lighten the situation. The crew made no effort to work around us. Furthermore, they make a second drift through the area.

As expected, they skunked. They were speed burning their lures through the water and kept the engine on despite having the perfect drift conditions. On our walk back, we took a few casts and nothing happened.
We already worked through the area and had 6 fish caught and released.

Even fishing crowded places such as the BB sewer pipe, I find most boaters will give everyone else some comfort distance and work their own drift. I fished from several boats before and always take into consideration of fishing an area if there are guys fishing from shore there.
No you are not asking too much but you have to learn not to get to jacked up over things you can not control. Seems there are more and more rude selfish people every day. Be the best you can be and ignore them........ Gary

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
Flip it around from their point of view. They travel by boat X amount of miles and some one is shore fishing their " secret " spot.

I agree a wave is easy to do - and does not cost anything.

I'd chock it up to them not knowing or thinking.

Back in the 80's - we had big 8-14 pound Blues around Green Bury / Hacketts point. We'd fish in afternoon after work 5-8 pm. We'd drift along casting big top waters and when hooked - the Blues would often jump.

Sometimes another boater would run over to fish near us - swirls everywhere gave away spooked fish. They'd yell over - What you getting them on ?

Nothing we could do but wait for Blues to come back in after they left.

One main reason I fish weekdays - less boats.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
No, you are not, but welcome to Maryland.

A couple of years ago, I was fishing for shad on the upper side of the mouth of Deer Creek on the Susquehanna. There was just one other fisherman and I fishing when someone walks up and wants to crowd in between us. I told him to move to my right because we were fishing there. After a few minutes, he then proceeds to tell me that I am casting too far and causing him to have to avoid my casts. Needless to say, that did not go over very well. Also, many times I have had people pull up and anchor in the exact spot where I was casting for either shad or white perch. Some people are just clueless and others have the opinion that they can do as they please. One day, my brother-in-law and I were anchored up about 30 yards off shore fishing a point on an outgoing tide when this idiot pulls up tide and proceeds to drift through between us and shore exactly where the fish were holding. So here he comes, motor running and all. I told him a few choice words and his response was: "I'll be out of your way in a minute." Fortunately for him, he did not repeat the process because he would probably have wound up with a 3/4 oz. rattle trap bouncing off his head. Some things are just very hard to ignore.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Internet fishing. You will see a heck of a lot more folks there than you ever expected soon. It's a terrible thing but a reality. Comes with the territory. Is what it is. If your catching folks wanna catch as well but they will cut the learning curve and try to catch in the same areas as you do instead of finding their own fish. You do a great job fishing and posting so don't get discouraged.

-Evans

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My mindset was, "yes you have access to this area as well, but I was here first." If they asked how I was doing, I would have told them we already landed and released 6 fish and how to approach shallow water fish.

If I did not care to help others catch fish, I would never post. Shoreline fishing is not exactly hard to learn, just lack of access for most and almost no information out there.

I understand there is little I can do (my distance casting accuracy is quite refined with the recent line upgrade to Powerpro Slick, but that is not the gentleman's approach), but there is some level of false satisfaction by venting this out. :fishing2:

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
LOL! You guys are lucky. I remember when all this use to happen to me. When it doesn't happen to you anymore, you will be fishing from shore like me. Main thing is, stay calm. :yes:

·
Registered
636 Posts
Bluefish, just keep a vision of the guys etched in you mind. After you graduate the academy and have command of your own ship, who knows, you may one day be back in Maryland cruising your frigate up the bay to show off at one of them sail ins up in Baltimore. Well when you see them fire a shot over their bow! If they don't move, simply step out of the bridge and say " remember me punk" and blast them outta the water! Good luck after graduation next month and Godspeed!

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
If a boat does that at Montauk Point, they can expect a treble hooked plug to come sailing their way. Those guys can and will heave a lure a long way if a boat is "encroaching" on "their" real estate. Shore anglers have limited options and should be respected.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Bluefish, just keep a vision of the guys etched in you mind. After you graduate the academy and have command of your own ship, who knows, you may one day be back in Maryland cruising your frigate up the bay to show off at one of them sail ins up in Baltimore. Well when you see them fire a shot over their bow! If they don't move, simply step out of the bridge and say " remember me punk" and blast them outta the water! Good luck after graduation next month and Godspeed!
You've been watching too many movies. After a few mid watches while qualing OOD, SWO, and manning the repair locker, not to mention being *****ed out by Chiefs, he'll long for inconsiderate boaters, JOs get it from all angles...

·
Registered
636 Posts
You've been watching too many movies. After a few mid watches while qualing OOD, SWO, and manning the repair locker, not to mention being *****ed out by Chiefs, he'll long for inconsiderate boaters, JOs get it from all angles...
I know all about it, been there,done that! Took plenty of abuse in the twelve years there. Would have made a career out of it had it not been for a slight incident during a training exercise in a F/A 18 on the CVN65. Give the young man credit, he has made it through the toughest education one could possibly get. Sure he has a long road ahead of him, but he has made a commitment to serve his country and I hope and pray he has a long and safe career ahead of him. Fly Navy! By the way bluefish, what are your intentions after graduation and what ship have you chosen?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Just curious, if you had hiked a mile or so lugging gear to your spot and found a couple of boats there, would you have left? Or if you found 5 guys fishing 20' a part would you cut in between them?

There is no "right" answer.

He was discourteous only because he didn't wave hello? Maybe he was thinking, he got up early & rode many miles away to fish & a couple unfriendly guys fishing from shore couldn't even wave hello.

It's a huge body of water & it's fishing. I remember days fishing shoulder to shoulder to strangers at Allens' fresh. Each person had 2' maximum to call their own. There were no issues.

I think its a matter of perspective. I've gone places where it has been crowded & fished & other days didn't want to deal with other people.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In case any one is speculating, I was not fishing from the Academy that day.

My discontent is how there are no other boats fishing in sight nor other shoreline anglers and this boat proceeds to jump right to my area and work it twice. It was not a matter that he did not greet, but rather his intention in the lines of "I am going to fish here because I want to." I will preserve the dignity of this boat and crew by not posting a picture of them.

I have shown up at my favorite yellow perch spot on the Eastern Shore (45 minute drive away) to find two other groups of fisherman there. I simply fished away from them until they called it a day and then I moved in. It is like waiting in line.

Same deal at Wayson's Corner...... If you arrived later, you either ask or simply move down the stretch. When someone leaves, then you can move in.

If anything, I simply ask people to consider others even if they are in your favorite spot. The water for the public to enjoy, but please be courteous (first come, first serve or at least ask to join).

·
Registered
823 Posts
What we are touching on is a total lack of respect and consideration that is prevalent in our society today. Sure its nothing new but seems to be getting progressively worse on our highways, waterways, and public spaces. Aggravating and stressful on the water but deadly on our highways. Unfortunately in this example you are a captive audience on shore and short of packing up and leaving or waiting them out, you have little recourse. When on the water anymore I try and stay away from the weekends, Holidays, and areas that I know get crowded. Throw together the inconsiderate, the inexperienced, and a few drunks and it can get ugly.

·
Registered
14,082 Posts
In case any one is speculating, I was not fishing from the Academy that day.

My discontent is how there are no other boats fishing in sight nor other shoreline anglers and this boat proceeds to jump right to my area and work it twice. It was not a matter that he did not greet, but rather his intention in the lines of "I am going to fish here because I want to." I will preserve the dignity of this boat and crew by not posting a picture of them.

I have shown up at my favorite yellow perch spot on the Eastern Shore (45 minute drive away) to find two other groups of fisherman there. I simply fished away from them until they called it a day and then I moved in. It is like waiting in line.

Same deal at Wayson's Corner...... If you arrived later, you either ask or simply move down the stretch. When someone leaves, then you can move in.

If anything, I simply ask people to consider others even if they are in your favorite spot. The water for the public to enjoy, but please be courteous (first come, first serve or at least ask to join).
If someone in a boat sees someone fishing from the shore.... they immediately think there are fish there. Why else would they be in that spot.......... Gary

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Bluefish, the bad news is that this is life and you handled it well by not escalating it. You fish to de-stress, so keeping a cool head benefits you more than them.

The good news is that, contrary to some comments about the "good 'ol days" or "people these days," in virtually everything I do, from my profession to my hobbies and, yes, even driving, I find people to be less overtly rude today than 20-30 years ago. From fighting for trout fishing space on the Severn Run, to fishing the old Severn railroad bridge, to trolling the first few years after the rockfish moratorium was lifted, to bottom fishing for spot at Tolly Point or even fishing docks on the Severn, the on-the-water etiquette I witnessed (and sometimes participated in) was far worse on average. Good thing we didn't have the internet back then to chat about it.

Today I see less obnoxious behavior, more knowledgeable boaters and fishermen, and people who are better educated about a range of things, from environmental stewardship, to boating rules of the road, to common fishing etiquette. We'll probably never eliminate all rudeness, and some of it is in the eye of the beholder in any event, but the trajectory is in the right direction and I suspect that your generation will only continue on that trajectory.

In sum, I agree that what you experienced was rude and improper, but the fact that this incident stands out is in part a testament to the fact that it's less common than it once was.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts