Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My brother and I grew up fishing North Carolina waters. This whole bay fishing is new to us. We can't believe how incredible the stripper fishing is around here and are now are hooked. Going from chasing schools of spanish and snapper blues around the coast of North Carolina to trolling for trophy Strippers is a big change. We are figuring it out slowly. The umbrellas we are running are pre weighted so how much weight should we use and how far back should we run them. Every time we have been out we have only caught our fish on tandems, not even one single bite on a umbrella so we are figuring we are doing something wrong. We are not running planner boards yet but hope to be up to that by spring. Any help would be great. Thanks:eek2:

·
Registered
258 Posts
I run my brellas approx 100 to 150 back. One with no weight, one with a 4 or so once inline and one heavier depending on where I'm marking fish. I connect the smaller inline direct to the brella. Sometimes the same for a larger weight, sometimes about a 10' leader. Caught both ways. Some will say always use a leader, I don't like handlining that much in if I don't have to.
So thats three brellas I run, one off each side of the boat and the one with no weight farther back. The rest of my spread are tandems, maybe a mojo with a Tomic, maybe a stretch.
Good luck, welcome to the bay.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
I run mine 75' & 100' with 16 - 28 oz. Usually the I differ the weight 4 oz between the two. Heavier weight on the shorter line.

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Keep in mind that Rockfish feed by looking UP to the bait.If your lures are running deeper then the Rock-they most likely will not hit them.

When a boat approaches a Rockfish - the Rock will either go deeper or off to either side to avoid the noise.On a choppy day-a boat heading into the waves is very loud from wave slapping.

With this in mind- you want lures near the boat very deep and then the more shallow lures farther back.This is one big reason planer boards work so well.If you do not have boards- try steering the boat in a very lazy S type pattern.The idea is to put your lures in "clean" water the boat did not go through.

I use downriggers for my umbrellas but sometimes will run one back 200 feet with a 4 oz parachute as the weight.Other options are to use in line weights.Try a 20 oz back 75-100 feet and an 8 oz back 150 feet.

Check out the umbrellas on other boats that are catching - some brands really do not do well.I field tested a very expensive one( $50.00) this spring that totally sucked.In three days and over 70 big Rock caught- it was the only rig that did not get hit.The local baitshops sell what you need.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
trolling for trophy Strippers is a big change.
you will do much better in NC for Strippers...I have not seen many trophy strippers in MD...the block, McDougals...you know the normal haunts..couldnt resist

as far as umbrellas go, I run 3
1.) 60 ft, 24oz weight
2.) 90 ft 20 oz weight
3.) 120 ft 16 oz weight

I hate reeling them in so I try not to put them too far back. Sometimes i only run them off the downriggers between 15 and 30 feet depending on where I"m marking fish.

·
Registered
738 Posts
We run from 2 to 4 umbrellas each has 2 baits.
130' no weight
90' 12oz
75' 24-28oz
45-55 28-48oz :yes: yes 48 oz when the fish are deep and your marking um deep you can troll over them and back off the troll and drop that bad boy right on there heads. Alway's produces fish.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I run 2 on weighted dummy lines 5lb w an additional 24 and 28 oz.
Two more 75 w 20-24 and 100 w 16-20
two small ones at 125 w 4-12oz and 150 w 2-4 oz difference
Everything else is various tandems and sometimes a daisy chain.
planer boards are always tandems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your help

We got out early Sunday. 6:30am on the water in Deale. Passed a boat on the way out that hard already caught its limit so we were really excited. Got out to Bloody Point and put out our lines. Only got one said down before bam 2 on. One on a white umbrella with extra weight about 80 feet back. Thanks for the help. We also hooked one on a hand line that got caught up with the umbrella. Both about 38' Pulling in two and an umbrella and extra weight funny because we were lucky enough to pass this on to our buddy who was with us Sunday. All in all we caught 4 over and 1 under and the biggest was 41. So thanks again for all you guys insight:clapping2:

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
I run 2 in the spring. the first with 10oz at 10 320GT2 bars and the second with 16oz at 7 320gt2 bars. both produce equally and have 9" and 6" twisters teasers instead of shads to reduce drag then the business end had a 9" pearl storm shad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts