Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have read my previous post in ref to taking my 8yoa son on his first blackpowder hunt and all the preperation that goes into such. Only to go this morning to find out that the stand we had prepared has been hunted for the last 2 weeks to accomodate my cousins 13 yoa son. Now onto the Gentlemen's agreement...The Club agreed to let the 3 members who purchased 700 acres to have first dibs on hunting the track as long as they did not hunt everywhere else. We all agreed to not hunt anyones stand at all. I guess my reason for post this is to get it off my chest and to inquire if others experience the same inconsideration.....Today was the first time in years that I did not see a deer while muzzleloader hunting, I do believe it is because a 13 yoa "BRAT" has been allowed to do what he wants.....

·
Registered
196 Posts
That is BS. Wouldn't be a big deal except for the agreement and your dealing with kids. Some people just don't have any respect.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're right BigDV, I could care less about the rest of my stands I have for me, but to go in the only one I can put my 8yoa in for your own personal gain is WRONG!!! especialy when they have many trophies on the wall and my boy hasn't got a deer yet. Don't get me wrong I have never been a person that thinks you can pressure a stand too much or been querky about habits, I just hunt and take what is given to me, but the person who did this is the weirdest about walking any where near his stand with tennis shoes on, etc, etc, etc, you know the type, but had no problem hunting my son's stand. Did I mention we have about 11 guys who hunt about 3000 acres thats right 3000 and they have to hunt on other peoples stand. Well I have the week off, they don't so it's PAYBACK TIME....I'll show ya the pictures.....

·
Registered
546 Posts
DEEP BREATH NICBUC. YOU HAVE TO BE THE BIGGER MAN HERE. YOUR BOY WILL BE THE BETTER MAN IN YEARS TO COME LEARNING FROM THIS SITUATION AND WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO TEACH HIM. HE WILL LEARN WHAT A GENTLEMENS AGREEMENT IS AND HOW MUCH A HAND SHAKE MEANS. ALSO, IT WILL TEACH HIM HOW TO RESPECT OTHERS, HUNTING OR NOT. MY BOY IS SIX AND I AM WATCHING YOU GUYS AND HOW YOU ARE DEALING AND PREPAING YOUR KIDS SO THAT I WILL DO THE RIGHT THINGS. THANKS FOR THIS SITE, NOT JUST FOR REPORTS BUT FOR THE FORUM WHERE I CAN TURN TO FOR GOOD DAD ADVICE. KEEP DOING THE RIGHT THING.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ryason, for bringing me back to earth, after some conversations on the phone and apologies we are going to start today off right, and go out and enjoy some good family time together doing what we like best HUNTING [excited]. Headed to the ferry in about 1 hour then to a great location on an open cutover that is a buck magnet, rutting buck like open cutovers that is where we have the best luck.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
nicbuc, i assume that your cousin was among the three that purchased the 700 acres and was part of the agreement not to hunt each other's stand.... and that he wasn't invited in and just decide to use your stand. Even if he was a part of the 3, he probably figured "it's family he won't mind."

To the whole situation I say BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As others have said the value of a man is what his word and handshake are worth!!!!
I am a firm believer that if not careful a stand can be overhunted, and he may have (and I stress the word may) have ruined something special for your son that you were eagerly looking forward to. I remember your original post.

As long as you worked it out with some sincere apologies, life will go on and family is more important, as long as family remembers how important it is.

Good luck to you and your son the rest of the year.

On private property I have permission to hunt both past and present, we have our "designated" stands but sometimes do hunt another's stand but NEVER without letting the other know in advance.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Done Workin for the words of encouragment, yeah the cousins and I get along all year until deer season, I think it's genetic in the bloodline to ask goofy this time of year. Like you said it will turn around. Nic goes out agin Sat for another go at it. The crazy thing is I had 3 bucks and 6 does around me most of the evening so i may relocate the stand to this spot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts