Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bud Dan sent me there pics, thought id share them.
He was dragged at Christmas to Cape Town to meet his fiancé's extended family that live there. Managed to get one day in spearing with some folks that he knows-turned out to be a great day.

Anyone here ever tried this in front of a busting school of YFT?

Hamish
[excited][excited][excited]

·
Registered
502 Posts
That looks amazing...isn't that near seal island, where the great whites air out when eating seals? I'm to afraid of great whites to even think about diving in Cape Town. My brother was there last month and one of the big tourist attractions was to view these sharks from a cage. That cage would make me feel a whole lot better!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Got the gear but haven't tried it yet. Waiting for the regs to change to allow it on the East Coast. I guess that yft was pretty dead when they took the pix. Wouldn't want to get tangled in floatline holding your breath with a lively one on the other end!

Mark

ps: On another topic, I just ran across this and thought it was neat:

http://www.animatedknots.com/

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not to sure where it was bucktales, but i think i can see the shoreline in the background so not well offshore.

Mark, are there NMFS restrictions on shooting YFT on the east coast? What about mahi? Any ide where i could find info on this?

H.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Scotsman,
Yes, there are still restrictions on shooting YFT on the East Coast. It appearst to have been an oversight when the Highly Migratory Species (HMS) regs were worded and whenvever youb open up regs to revision all kinds of things both good and bad can be included in that revision. Long story short, the regs are currently being revisited and we should hear results soon. Really, how many tuna are spearos going to take anyway? $ spent on charters, etc. per pound of tuna will undoubtedly be less than harvesting by any other means. It's the chase we are after. I will get you links for the regs. Mahi are okay. I would shoot them given the opportunity.
Mark

PS: Had any good Haggis lately? [grin]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts