Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Highs in the around 40 degrees with lows in the 20's for a stretch starting next tuesday :eek:

Fall is upon us. Time to seperate the crazy from the fair weather fisherman...

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
cant exactly call yourself one of the crazies if you have a heat buddy, and a cabin- thats fairweather fishin' (of which I partake, so dont think Im doggin ya!)! The crazies are the ones out in a 21 CC in 12* weather. dodging spray and ice... now thats a crazy fisherman!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
i have a 24' CC with no canvas and will fish every weekend until 12/31. It's all about preparation and precaution.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
One thing to be cautious of on cold mornings is WATCH YOUR FOOTING!!!!! The decks have the frozen frost and you will go down pretty fast.:whistlingatu::wacko:

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point twiskman. When I was out last year in my maycraft, we thought we were crazy because we had spray everywhere and ice was forming on the windshield of the pilothouse except for where the wiper was. Then we looked over and saw two guys huddled behind a small console on cc with ice shining on their foul weather gear. Then we just though we were silly and that they were crazy :D

·
Registered
229 Posts
I always fish in early Spring and late Fall in a 20 foot center console.
My friends say it is a warm weather boat, but I say it's not.
It's less enpensive to buy a decent coat than a larger boat.
Catching the bid ones will always keeps me warm anyway.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
crazy....did someone call me:wacko: hey faithful Maycrafts are made for that kinda stuff.....dont know about that Judd though:D:D(NICE BOAT) im jealous:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
I've only found one of my buddies who's crazy enough to go out in the winter with me in a 19ft bay boat...it's chilly. We just pick our days and layer up and never WOT.

now this picture by Fancis is hard core winter fishing...

Heat buddy won't do you much good in a jon boat.:eek2:

TIGHT LINES!!

·
Premium Member
26,231 Posts
I have to agree fishing in winter inside a full enclosure with a heater is NICE :yes:.

The guys who tough it out in open boats get major man points from me :clapping2::clapping2:. I've been there / got the scar and it is hardcore when it's cold and breezy in an open boat.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
If your catching its great because you dont think about cold.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a question on this topic. This is my first full year in the Chessy and my boat is in Cabin John creek off the Elk River- way upper bay close to the flats. I don't run much farther than Rock Hall. It's a 19ft CC Mckee- I don't mind the cold but is there any reason to keep it in the water much longer? I haven't had much luck at all recently- will the stripers get up closer to me if I wait?

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
we'll be fishing out of our 17' CC until the water gets hard!

like other posters have said...you just need to pick your days and be prepared for the conditions!

PLEASE....if you go out be VERY CAREFUL.....little mistakes that you make in the warmer months can KILL you this time of year:yes:

BE SAFE!!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
for those of you who still have boats in a wet slip -- anyone concerned about lower units freezing up? there's always a little water that won't drain out.

this is the first year i'll have my boat in the water past consistently freezing temps...should i be worried?

thanks!
jack

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jack, tilt you lower units down into the water and leave them during freezing nights. being in the water will insulate them from problems. Dont worry about growth, water is too cold. Having decent zincs on the motor will protect against corrosion.

·
Registered
96 Posts
thanks greg! that's exactly what i was planning on doing. just wondering if there were any other creative ideas. i guess sometimes the simplest approach is the best.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts