Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the early reports the other week- I went ahead and ordered 4 cases of necks and just finished chopping and bagging them a little bit ago. After those 4 and one leftover from last year- i've seen enough chicken necks for a while! :wacko: Anyone got any secrets for that job? I let a couple cases at a time thaw for 2/3 days and then cut them how I want 'em and fill up gallon sized freezer bags. 3 bags will usually bait my 1,200 ft. line.

And as another side note- if anyone has or knows of a chest freezer that they're looking to get rid of- drop me a b-mail, I may be interested. Outside appearance doesn't matter as long as it runs.

Now that i've got the bait taken care of- I'm ready to chase gobblers and rock next week!! :rockon: :chugbeer:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Try dry salting some ot them. If your hands can stand the salt, it amazing how long they'll keep after being salted properly. Last season I had some salted outside for over 6 months and the color was still good. They draw crabs almost as good as bloody necks and they are tougher. Walmart does this as well. No worry about them rotting. Hope to see ya soon, Jim E.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
We use a small meat cleaver for the cutting job, most of my masterbaiters can cut up a case of necks in about 20 mins, they don't need to be thawed real well to cut them up

keep an eye on craigs list- freezers show up there regularly
uprights are common, chest freezers are a little rarer but they do show occasionaly, I got a free one for my beach place last summer, just had to haul it away

Large 20 Cu. Upright Freezer Works Great!

good luck on the birds, hope u get one, I'm planning on heading to Va, next week to try & bag one

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
A small axe, sharpened well does wonders. I had an old machette that the blade was about 1/4 think on. I cut it to about a 6" blade and the "heft" of it is about like a small axe. Not too heavy, but heavy enough to go through the neck without much effort. I also sharpen this to a razor edge. Sharpening between boxes.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use what I think are called "loppers" like what you would use to cut branches off a tree. The ones with about 2-3 ft. handles on 'em. These work really well, maybe not quite as fast as a knife or hatchet, but I get through 'em pretty good. It's just one of those jobs that's not a whole lot of fun no matter how ya do it I guess!

Big Jim- i've never salted any, but I just might try an experiment with that later this summer. I'm sure that toughens 'em up some too and would probably help later in the summer when the sooks are out. Good hearing from you and I hope all is well with your crew.

RJ- thanks for the heads up on craigslist and i'll have the wife keep an eye out of me. Speaking of turks- i've seen about half a dozen strutting in the last week on my way in here to work- and it's driving me mad!! Not to mention how close I come to crashing my truck eveytime I see one! :eek2:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just saw this on craigslist:

FREE SEARS CHEST FREEZER YOU HAUL ASAP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2007-04-13, 10:40AM EDT

Looks bad, RUNS GREAT! Measures 70" wide x 35" high x 27" deep. Its a Sears Coldspot 21 Model # 198-5913210 and was in the house when we moved in. She was plugged in then and worked great - we are redoing the basement and she needs to go. Inside is pretty clean - outside could defiantely use a good scrub down if you care. You haul it and she is free. I even took a photo of the few stairs to the door right where its sitting it must go up. If fits thru the door fine but is heavy. If its a dry day you can pull right to the door - if its wet its still only about 30 feet down the path to the driveway. Bring a friend she is heavy and i cant help you lift it. Im just off I-70 midway between Baltimore and Frederick. (Lisbon Exit #73) Call Smitty 410-336-0277 for time only if you really plan on coming, she needs to go ASAP. Work starts in the basement next week.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 311133187

Fishforfood

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Hey Jamie. You're probably aware of this but I'll chime in anyway.

If you pick up a freezer, DON'T place it sideways when moving. I learned the hard way once when I placed a chest on its side for only a few minutes and shorted out the condensor.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Jime
I have salted necks also , but they did not keep as well as you described,
I salted them and returned them to a container in the refrigerator, but mine kept well for about 2-3 weeks in the refrigerator, but them they seem to go bad after that time & I had to throw them away

What's your recipe for salted necks?

·
Registered
861 Posts
I can tell you my experience with salted necks - they CANNOT come in contact with the side of the container you salt them in. Every one touching the side of the container when I did it turned black and rotted.

It's funny reading the progressions that everyone goes through on these threads. I, myself, have done all of these things at one time. I have discovered, after years of playing with it, that for me it just works better to put the whole neck on the line without messing with cutting, salting, etc., etc. Saves a lot of time, catches more crabs and doesn't actually cost anymore.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I believe the whole deal with laying refrigerators or freezers on their sides or backs is that it can allow the oil in the compressor to drain into the coils. Many times it's not possible to avoid doing that - if you have to lay it down, allow it to remain in the normal, upright position for awhile to let the oil drain back down. Have done it many times without any problems.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I believe the whole deal with laying refrigerators or freezers on their sides or backs is that it can allow the oil in the compressor to drain into the coils. Many times it's not possible to avoid doing that - if you have to lay it down, allow it to remain in the normal, upright position for awhile to let the oil drain back down. Have done it many times without any problems.
I think you're right. I've always been told to leave it in it's normal position for at least twice as long as it was on its side before plugging it in. I've layed several refrigerators on their side for the ride in the truck and never had a problem.

·
Registered
183 Posts
RJ, I didn't have a recipe. I had about 20# of fresh necks from Resnick Poultry on ice that weren't used on an outing. I used to just dump them over after pulling the lines, hoping to fatten up next weeks catch. Anyway, I got home and while steaming a batch decided to try the salting method. This was suggetsed some time ago, I asked how Walmart could keep their crab bait without refrigeration, the replies suggested nothing more than NaCl. I was thinking it was formaldehyde or some other mortuary aid that I didn't want to mess with.

I put them in a 5 gallon bucket and covered them with feed salt, mixing up the bucket by hand. No refrigeration or any more ice. Put a lid on them and forgot about them in the barn. The only liquid in the solution came from the necks. Many above 90 degees days were in this period.

Several months later, I was looking for a bucket and discover the salted necks. It suprised me to see how pink/red they were. Nothing wanted at 'em, no cats, blow flies, aerobic or anaerobic critters. The only down side was the cuts on my hands couldn't tolerate the salt. Put on some latex gloves and no problem.

I repeated this method at least 10 times. The only time it didn't work was if rain water diluted the brine, i.e. no lid on bucket. Some of the necks turned black, but didn't stink or draw crabs.

More research needed to see what will make them go bad when salted.

I'm still looking for the bait that will not get slimey or stink and catch crabs. Patent pending.

Hope to see ya soon, Jim E.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey Fat Jimmy,
There is another chest freezer free on craigslist this morning.

15 Cu. Ft. Chest style Freezer Free to Good Home

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2007-04-14, 12:26PM EDT

I have a chest style deep freezer, 15 cubic feet. The brand is Wards, cosmetically it's in good condition and works great. We just bought an upright freezer, so we have no room for this one anymore.

MUST pick-up by tomorrow at the latest. We're in the North Point Village neighborhood of Dundalk. You haul--we have 1 man that can help load.

It'll go to the dump if it's not picked up tomorrow.
it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 311789257

Shirley (Fishforfood)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Jamie,

Funny how, when there's work to be done to get ready for crabbing, no one seems to be available...but when the steamers going and the beer is cold everyone has a few hours to come over and eat crabs...at least thats the way it always works in Shady Side. My new rule this year for my deadbeat family is...you want crabs? Someone baits, someone unbaits, and someone cleans the boat...either that, or pay for some of the liquid gold that goes in the gas tank....No more free crab parties at my house!!!:confused: yeah right...;-)

I'll keep my eyes open for a freezer for ya. I just picked up a beer fridge from a buddy of mine for the garage. I tested its capacity and found it to be able to hold 5 30 packs of Busch Light :clap: Maybe you can help me drink a few of those while were fishing saturday :chugbeer: :bigfish:

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ya know- I can't really complain too much since I don't even own a boat and it seems like I never have a shortage of opportunities to crab or fish. :pp But, yea- i've told my brother plenty of times before that I would have been better off buying the boat and leaving the gear, mess, baiting/unbaiting, and everything else to someone else, but I wouldn't do it if I didn't truly enjoy it. I figure the least I can do as a HO is bring a baited line, some gas money and a cold beer or 30!! :chugbeer:

Jerry- i'll gladly scrape barnacles or even scrub the head for a day on the Bay aboard the Lovely Lady! :yes:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
trust me Jer...you'll never hear me complain one ounce about Jamie. He keeps cold beers, deer bologna, shrimp, or whatever else is on the menu, always within close range of the captain. :thumbup: This man earned his spot, anytime either of my vessels sail....as did you, with all of the help you have given me over the last month...you just hate trolling with broomsticks, so I can't get you excited about it....If I tell Vicky to dress scantily, will that get you on board the new goodship butthead?:scratchchin3:

But Jamie..you're right. I do all of this stuff because I love to do it, and I love to have good friends enjoy it with me. I would rather be baiting 2400' of trotline, than painting the kitchen any day. So if it gets me outside, and it gets me away from housework?? bring it on!!

Oh by the way...when you come down to fish on Saturday, don't forget to bring your scraping knife, and your rubber gloves...I have something I need help with...:eek2: JK!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hell- if this weather ever breaks I may just dress scantily myself to celebrate!! With my ass hanging out on deck- we won't have to worry about the crowds trolling around us!! :hysterical:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts