Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here know a contact at the MD boat tax office? I called nearly every day last week and got VM every time, no return calls. Have questions about the boat tax bill I got from MD. Appreciate any help you got!

Happy spring all!

Ben

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Ben, about all I can tell you is that last year when I bought my new boat I drove to the building in Salisbury. Inside they got me registered and that is where I paid my boat sales tax, all in the one office. The people were very friendly and knowledgeable. It only took 10 or 15 mins. Now that I think about, it wasn't a tax office but I think it was a DNR Office and they computed the tax amount and collected it right there. If you need more info post or PM me, Bob

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Similar experience for me. Just paid tax on my new (to me) boat that I bought from a private seller. Went to the Dundalk office as it is closest to me. Easy enough - just bring title and bill of sale. Be careful with hours however. I had to go twice since that office at least is open only Monday Wednesday Friday.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thing is my boat is federally registered and I bought it several years ago in NC. I'll get my old purchase docs and try calling them again. My understanding (thanks to Snowranger) is that boats like mine are either exempt or partially exempt if they were not bought in MD.

·
Registered
519 Posts
You are only "exempt" if you paid sales tax on the purchase in another state (equal to or greater than the MD tax) or Maryland is not the principal state of use. This is a useful summary...
http://boatinglaw.com/maritimearticles/boattax101.html

Unfortunately it looks like NC has a $1,500 cap on sales tax (and maybe even an exemption for private sales) so you will probably owe the difference between the MD assessment and $1,500 unless MD is not the state of principal use or some other exemption applies.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks snowranger. Getting the NC and USCG docs together. Since I can't raise anyone at the DNR on the phone I'll probably have to drive to Annapolis to ask my questions/get bent over.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Ben, I purchased my new boat in Selbyville, Del. just beyond the Maryland state line. Del. has no sales tax but Md. does so I had to pay that. It is 5% plus the registration, etc. so the total bill was a couple of thousand. According to the dealership, I had to furnish proof of an address in Del. in order to register the boat there. They said the "state of principal use" clause does not apply there anymore.
Also, in Md your boat will be taxed on the "current appraised value" not what you paid for it years ago. Hope this helps, Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.