Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the Recreational Fishing Association were to get behind and directly involved in preventing Omega Protein from fishing in state waters, I'd bet that they could get 10,000 or more new members in that organization as a result. What do others think and does anyone have any contact with the RFA?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
RFA Contact Information
Recreational Fishing Alliance

P.O. Box 3080
New Gretna, NJ 08224

888 JOIN RFA (564-6732)
Fax: (609) 294-3812

Send RFA Membership applications & renewals to:

Recreational Fishing Alliance
PO Box 98263
Washington DC 20090

RFA Headquarters
Jim Donofrio
Executive Director

John DePersenaire
Fisheries Policy & Science Researcher

Gary Caputi
Corporate Relations Director

Capt. Barry Gibson
New England Regional Director

Jim Martin
West Coast Regional Director
707-964-8326 (office)
707-972-5226 (cell)

Capt. TJ Cheek
Southeast Regional Director

RFA Chapter Contacts

RFA Chapter Contacts (click on name to email)
New Jersey State Chapter (RFA-NJ)
Capt. Adam Nowalsky
609-618-0366

Florida State Chapter (RFA-FL)
Dave Huber

North Florida Chapter (RFA-NOFL Co-Chairs)
Rick Hale
Capt. Vic Tyson

Florida Panhandle Chapter (RFA-Panhandle)
Nate Odum
850-648-8900

Massachusetts State Chapter (RFA-MA)
Capt. Mike Pierdinock
617-291-8914

Georgia State Chapter (RFA-GA)
Bob Black
912-223-2986

Oregon State Chapter (RFA-OR)
John Holloway

South Carolina State Chapter (RFA-SC)
Capt. Mark Brown
843-881-9735

Texas State Chapter (RFA-TX)
Jim Smarr
361-463-1558

Recreational Fishing Alliance of NSW
Malcolm Poole
President
PO Box 328
Matraville NSW 2036, Australia
Please use the following HTML code when linking to the RFA
Recreational Fishing Alliance - Join the RFA
Recreational Fishing Alliance - Join the RFA

·
Registered
236 Posts
Help from RFA/CCA and others

Ive been a member of both for years, till I got fed up and quit. Both organizations have been around for decades and have little or marginal success in anything. CCA/Va has seen its membership decline 50% in the last decade. RFA shows up, writes letters to anyone and everyone, and accomplished very little, if anything. Why? The people that control our fisheries are internal to the US Department of Commerce whose aim is to MAXIMIZE profit for industry, with sound environmental management a distant second.
While they do this, we curse the EPA as too invasive and cheer our leaders when they tell us to eliminate the whole agency. Go figure.

Ive written to the ASMFC so many times that the chief there knows me by name -and basically agrees with my long held position that we have a serious supply and demand issue, a position Ive posted here regarding the aims of our fledgling VSSA -to no avail. Agreement though doesn't mean policy change -ASMFC is still dividing up the existing stock as they always have, resulting in ever reduced catch per person for the recreational angler and not enough money to keep but a few commercial fisherman afloat. Nobody is happy with any of this. Prices at the market show you the result.

The only way to change things in Virginia, is if voters get off their complacent butts and VOTE OUT OF OFFICE those delegates who refuse to kick OMEGA to the curb. As long as nobody cares enough to vote, or doesn't know the positions of the delegates when they do, nothing will change. OMEGA is engaged in soft money politics, the angling community is asleep. Its always up to the legendary "other guy" to do something. That's the problem -theres a lot of us looking in the mirror and not realizing the problem is us.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Using any of the previous avenues will probably never achieve success. When it no longer becomes profitable they will close operations in the bay.
However, funding a documentary produced by Jeremy Wade/River Monsters or the Cousteau Group or such telling the complete story maybe a better method. If this were aired on Discovery, PBS this would focus national attention on the problem. Probably a few in Deltaville that would like to see them leave, impact on VA Travel / Tourism, Boat Manufacturers ...

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Based upon the lack of response to this post, one has to assume that most anglers are not interested in getting Omega Protein out of state waters. It is always, "let someone else do it'.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Based upon the lack of response to this post, one has to assume that most anglers are not interested in getting Omega Protein out of state waters. It is always, "let someone else do it'.
Virginia's Recreational Anglers are in very small splinter groups. Until they get more involved and learn to work more closely together it will be hard to change the status quo. Still hopefully that things will change some day, I joined and I am active in the Virginia Saltwater Sportfishing Association.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Virginia's Recreational Anglers are in very small splinter groups. Until they get more involved and learn to work more closely together it will be hard to change the status quo. Still hopefully that things will change some day, I joined and I am active in the Virginia Saltwater Sportfishing Association.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress
When Kevin and I first began talking about forming VSSA, we considered a Virginia chapter with RFA or even trying to rebuild CCA VA. While I'm not putting down either organization as they do good things, the main issue we had was most of the money raised and dues paid by Virginia RFA or CCA members goes to the national HQ not located in Virginia. So we opted to form our own state association (VSSA) so that any money raised stays in Virginia so we can help or work on only the issues facing Virginia anglers. We are still small but growing everyday and as our numbers grow so will our influence on these issues.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I think most here are interested,,, but not sure what may be the best angle of attack. I, like others have suggested here, are "fed up" by some of these groups
not doing enough (anything) to help Virginia anglers.

Your correct, If they would get more involved in fighting Omega in Va, more Virginia anglers would join!

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Ive been a member of both for years, till I got fed up and quit. Both organizations have been around for decades and have little or marginal success in anything. CCA/Va has seen its membership decline 50% in the last decade. RFA shows up, writes letters to anyone and everyone, and accomplished very little, if anything. Why? The people that control our fisheries are internal to the US Department of Commerce whose aim is to MAXIMIZE profit for industry, with sound environmental management a distant second.
While they do this, we curse the EPA as too invasive and cheer our leaders when they tell us to eliminate the whole agency. Go figure.

Ive written to the ASMFC so many times that the chief there knows me by name -and basically agrees with my long held position that we have a serious supply and demand issue, a position Ive posted here regarding the aims of our fledgling VSSA -to no avail. Agreement though doesn't mean policy change -ASMFC is still dividing up the existing stock as they always have, resulting in ever reduced catch per person for the recreational angler and not enough money to keep but a few commercial fisherman afloat. Nobody is happy with any of this. Prices at the market show you the result.

The only way to change things in Virginia, is if voters get off their complacent butts and VOTE OUT OF OFFICE those delegates who refuse to kick OMEGA to the curb. As long as nobody cares enough to vote, or doesn't know the positions of the delegates when they do, nothing will change. OMEGA is engaged in soft money politics, the angling community is asleep. Its always up to the legendary "other guy" to do something. That's the problem -theres a lot of us looking in the mirror and not realizing the problem is us.
Gradymania (and others) , good post was well worth reading a few times! I like many others think change is going to happen from outside Va government. Sounds like you do to. 2 things,
I doubt any politician will refuse omega "donations" (bribes) even newly voted in ones. Would be great to know stands on all issues of each . its often a choice of lesser of 2 evils. Way more on this than I care to type right now --( keeping it short)
I think more pressure on ASMFC is the way (to help the menhaden issue) also. Suggestions?

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Asking for temporary relief from the reduction industry inside of the Chesapeake bay until ASMFC considers action on menhaden ??
localized depletion issues. ( and ERP's? I forget lingo)
They have to know that a large majority of east coast quota is being taken inside the bay!

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
No organization inside or outside the state of VA will have any positive impact on Menhaden inside of the Chesapeake without the support of the Virginia Recreational Anglers. If they don't care enough to get involved and work together, why would anyone else want to.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

1 - 13 of 13 Posts