Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been thinking, and i know most people just use a larg inline sinker but could you have a three way attached to a 20 oz mojo then attached to the unbrella rig? It would give you another bait plus the weight. If anyone has any reasons why this is a bad idea i would like to know because i plan on trying it out this weekend

·
Registered
643 Posts
Ive been thinking, and i know most people just use a larg inline sinker but could you have a three way attached to a 20 oz mojo then attached to the unbrella rig? It would give you another bait plus the weight
I'd be worried about that becoming a tangled mess at some point, hopefully someone's tried it and posts.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Drewman,

That's how they rig mojo's for is to run the it on a 3 way then attach another lure on the 3 way to get the whole rig down I have had multiple hookups that way... So yes its a good idea but also just watch out if you attach a umbrella rig on the 3 way it will get tangled if your not careful...good luck

·
Registered
753 Posts
Drewman, you will probably find that if you use inlines starting with the lightest the farthest back and getting heavier as you come towards the boat, and if you keep all your lines well spaced out, you can make sudden turns ( quite tight) without a tangle problem. In the past ( years ago) we used droppers for just the reason you stated, but seemed to get quite a mess on a tight turn. ( you can run as many as you have rod holders if you set them up right)

If you fish outside and away from all the other boats you wont have a problem so much. But if you have to manuver very fast due to some inconsiderate ( not that that you will find any) boater, changing direction in the middle of a pack, you will probably hang a dropper on another line and thus starts the mess.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out if you try it.

PS: on a very rough day,or with a very strong current, you have to really space out your umbrellas and speed up on the turn or you can get the same problem on even long turns.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ive never caught a fish on a mojo but most of the fish I catch trolling come on the lure trailing the mojo. Im sure the mojo will grab the fishes attention but once he sees an umbrella or a spoon following it, he'll jump right on it.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I add a inline weight via a split ring to the back of my umbrellas. But, if its a new bar or just havent had a chance to add the weight, I also do the 3 way with a mojo.

Danny

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
1,107 Posts
it works but it's a pain to real in with small fish or no fish...never used lessed than a 36 ounce mojo and it was always the closest line to the boat...best of luck...p.s. you also shouldn't use anything less than 100 lb test leader

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I've never been a big fan of umbrellas because of thier weight, but I understand allot of folks fish them exclusively. I will usually put one in the spread with an inline and have had days where it was the only thing catching fish.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When rigging an inline, how close to the umbrella do you put it, and what would a light weight be, and what would a heavy one be??? Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
753 Posts
I put the inline right in front of the umbrella with a double swivel. Then depending on how many you are going to run you can figure out the weights from the farthest back ( which for me is uaually an 8 or 10 oz. . Then go heavier with the next one and so on all the way to the boat.

It does help to mark your lines with different lengths and the butt of the rod with the marked lenghts so you can set them out in order.

We usually mark three different spots on our lines such as 250' 275' & 300' for the way back and then work from there as you plan on coming back to the boat.

Thread or bobber stops ( and a dab of super glue) work well as you can feel each one and usually see each mark as you let it out.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would just run a trailer say about 6-7 feet off the umbrealla with a 7-9oz. parachute to get it down. I really think that would be simpler. That is what I do and usually catch the fish on the trailer. But a 3 way with a16-26oz mojo and a 8-10' leader with a tomic is where its at. Them striper eat anything and umbrellas are kind of a pain. But what do I know I am just trying to get my post count up.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The umbrella rigs I used last year were Chesapeake Bay Lures brand and they had about 6 or 8 oz. of lead on them already. I used no additional weight. This caught fish but no monsters.

Jason

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Capt. Lyle's got it right (but I do like Danny's idea of putting the weight on the center clip behind the umbrella). The double coastlock swivels are the deal.

One thing to think about is "what happens when the fish is boat-side?" It's a lot easier reeling the fish to the net (inline weight ahead of the umbrella) versus leadering him (dropper weight).

·
Registered
581 Posts
It works fine to run an umbrella off a 3 way mojo rig. We have caught many bigfish this way and always have one on in a tournament. You can also use a mini bar if it is too much drag on your pole. We sell mini umbrella rigs for this purpose.

Jon
CustomOffshoreTackle.com

·
Registered
562 Posts
We run two mojo - umbrella rigs always
They are our front two boat rods out 50 and 60 ft
Mojo lure is 32oz
100pd leader crimped directly to mojo - 3ft to 3 way swivel
10ft 100pd leader to umbrella frame - 3 oz head
Umbrella weight doesnt matter, the mojo acts as a downrigger
We have downriggers and ran them with umbrella attached, never caught with them
Have caught plenty with the mojo - umbrella combo
Rock always hit the umbrella bait- never the mojo lure
Oh yea, it is almost always a 40+ that hits this bait
This works for us, might not work on your boat???
Good luck

·
Registered
477 Posts
I always run two umbrella rigs off a 3-way with a mojo. One will be 32 oz. one will be 22-24 oz. I'll also occasionally run one with a 20 oz. dredge (in-line weight) in the middle & a little further back. I run the heaviest ones directly on the bottom & the rest of the lures stacked up at various depths. If I am running a dredge weight I attach a 6 to 10 ft leader between it and the umbrella (or whatever other bait is attached behind it).

·
Registered
581 Posts
If you also run an umbrella with no weight it will get hit many times while you are fighting another fish and it is sinking to the bottom. It happened to us 4 times yesterday.

Jon
CustomOffshoreTackle.com

1 - 18 of 18 Posts