Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And they weren't stripers. ;)

I was out on a research cruise on Wednesday, Feb. 21, and we were heading to one of our sites which is near the center channel, about 1-1.5 miles out seaward from the CBBT. It had been a pretty boring trip, as usual. Not much was going on. Didn't see many gannets and no fish or bait activity on the surface. :yawn:

That changed at 1405. The captain stopped the boat, but we weren't on station yet. We went up to the wheelhouse to see what was going on and ended up watching as at least 2, maybe as many as 4, whales repeatedly surfaced about 100-150yds away. :eek: The were moving south to north and were surfacing every few minutes for about 15 minutes. They weren't doing any big splashes, or anything, just surfacing like dolphins and porpoises do. The dorsal fluke was set kind of far back, so I think they were Minke whales, but they seemed longer than 25-30ft. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics because my digital is too slow, and by they time they surface, I spotted them, and my camera got in gear, all I got was blurry pictures of the waves they made. However, I do have 5 sober witnesses who aren't related to me. :yes:

The other cool thing that happened was at 1445 when about a dozen lines of gannets, about 6 birds each, came in from the sea and headed toward land or the CBBT islands. At 1545, they headed back out to sea again. I guess it was gannet rush hour.

Anyhow, relatively routine trip turned out to be a bit of an adventure. Did anybody else spot the whales out there? I didn't see many rec boats out there.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Whales in CBBT Area

Yes they are common in the winter time in that area. I have seen them all the way up to between the third and fourth island. They usually show up in Mid Dec. This year with the bait around they seem to have stayed longer than usual.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
It's always exciting to be out there and have whales around, especially when you are in a small boat. Glad you got to see them.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
a real blaast on light tackle-------------------

1 - 4 of 4 Posts