Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try to gig for flounder around the Kent Island area?? Any luck in the Eastern bay??

TED

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Uhmmm, Might not be legal. I should look in to that part. But yes it's from NC where I was getting turned on by it and wanted to invest in the equiptment and do it in the bay.

TED

·
Registered
151 Posts
I live in VA now and have never heard mention of it here. I grew up in NC and we used to go flounder gigging all the time. Maybe it is just a NC thing?

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
My bet would be illegal. Along the same lines as gaffing rock. How could you be sure it was a legal fish? We used to do it in NC growing up but there was no size limit back then. Remember stopping when the flounder limit hit 10 inches!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I live in VA now and have never heard mention of it here. I grew up in NC and we used to go flounder gigging all the time. Maybe it is just a NC thing?
Gigging flounder (and crabs for that matter) was also popular on the flats of south TX. We'd rig a jon boat with a 5 hp briggs and stratton with a small wooden prop and we'd have an air motor to slowly glide us across the flats (noisier than all hell though). Nothing safer than a bunch of drunk guys jumping around a boat in the dark with gigs and air motors cranked :thumbup:!!

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
I "use to" see a guy in the Inlet in Ocean City, do it all the time, but that was twenty years ago. Probably before creel limits were installed.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Do a search on TF for "flounder gigging" and there a dozen or so threads about it - mostly on the VA and NC boards but some interesting info. Andy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts