Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a lot of people using gill nets to catch bait and have come to the realization that they have found the easy way to catch bait. I would like to know if anyone can help me with where I can buy and net just for recreation. I am only interested in catching bait (shad). I know that other fish will get caught but will also get released as soon as posible. Thanks for any help that is given.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Memphis net

Do a web search for Memphis net. You want 50 feet of net six feet deep with 1.75 inch mesh stretches to 3 1/2 inch. Floats along the top and lead weights on the bottom. Get the net made of monofilament.

Buy your licence at Dance's in Colonial Heights or White's hardware in Tappahannock.

Have fun. I bought a 100 foot net and use it to catch shad and can't wait to set it for spots this fall.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
WHERE DO YOU LIVE ? I MAY BE ABLE TO HELP YOU OUT. I HAVE A BRAND NEW ONE BEVER USED. THE BOTTON ROPE HAS A LEAD CORE BUILT IN SO YOU DONT NEED WEIGHTS ON THE BOTTOM

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
NETS

Every one else has advice, I might as well chime in with my .02$ worth. Don't get floats on the top line , get a foamcore top line that floats without floats. The balltype floats get tangled and the lead weight bottom line gets tangled also, and yes they still do sell nets with led weights Scott. The lead core is much better and mono is better than nylon.

mini moe

·
Registered
70 Posts
hey RACN i am intrested in it i am in bad need of one how long is it the depth you know the usual stuff and how much do you want for it i located at Ft. Eustis by Newport News.

·
Registered
887 Posts
What about the Gamakatsu Big River hooks in 12/0? 3 in a pack for 5.00 to 5.75 or so plus tax and shipping. You should also be a dealer for lokinets.com there are none around here.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I. Cooper's in downtown hampton have all the netting supplies you need..Its right there by Amorey's seafood and the Imax theatre on King St. if anybody needs more or longer nets etc.....

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
VTfisher- you do not have B mail options turned on- tried to email you as well- 658 4811 - jamie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts