Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still stink like shad….

I hit the tidal potomac yesterday in the fast water eddies in hopes of some smallmouth and maybe walleye. When I got there the tide was low but the water clarity was almost perfect with a nice tint to it about 1-2 feet of visibility. I saw two guys snagging average size spring gizzard shad (aka mud shad) about 15 inchs every cast. They seemed to be enjoying themselves. Then they leave and I'm still working the bottom with a Texas rigged tube with no hits, or snagged fish. Then comes two fly guys. They proceed to hook gizzard shad in the tail or dorsal fin every single cast almost. One guy even has one of those expensive long handle landing nets and lands the fish for guess what... HIS CLIENT and even proceeds to pose for a picture. Yes, that's right, he was guiding his client to snag gizzard shad. I later walked up to him and said have you caught any hickories or Americans' yet, (knowing what the answer would be) "yes, we've been killing them all week." (Maybe he didn't hear me.) Unbelievable. I later educated them as to what he was catching but was told they were snagging themselves and that every few fish were caught in the mouth (they are filter feeders). They were awfully thick in his defense, I will say that. Try a circle hook with your fly, you will never snag another fish. This guide will later only target snakeheads. He might get snakeheads to bite but in the spring I've seen hundreds upon hundreds of them up there in the eddies and absolutely ignore everything that comes near them so after only a season or two trying, I will also say that most of those spring snakeheads are also snagged. it's a different story when you find them on the grass beds further down river. There, its top water all day long for a chance at a trophy snakehead. It's a different ball game when the fish are in the fast water eddies in the spring. Not sure why.

So, who wants to book a guide all day so we can snag gizzards with fly rods? Wow, that would be so cool. I fly fish but that right there just gave every fly fishermen a bad name. At least fish for fish. Sometimes you have to use different techniques. If the fifth fish you caught comes in backwards, chances are your sixth and 7th will too. Time to move, or try something else.

Back to my report. No walleye, quite a few nasty slimy gizzards and one nice smallmouth about 14 inches and its twin but it was a largemouth both caught on the new Berkley havoc creature type baits, texas rigged. Oh yea, I had over a dozen gizzards hooked near the mouth on Rapala x rap jerk baits. Think they were hitting them too?

Spring has sprung. It won't be long now.

Water Sky Vertebrate Plant Outdoor recreation

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What will this rain do? I'd be out there right now if it wasn't cloudy. The effects of this super moon still show incredibly high tides several days after the full moon even.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Sounds like Conowingo on a slow day. I was there last year at the end of the shad run (looking for smallies and eyes) and mostly all I got were big gizzards with a couple Americans. I was throwing them back and then some lady said (mostly sing language, I could barely undrstand her) wanted everyone I caught. I gave her about 5 big gizzards before I was done. She was delighted. To each their own I guess.

Interesting about the snakeheads. I havent fished the Potomac in 20 yrs since I moved from down that way. Sounds like they have really taken hold. I grew up with the guy that got the ones in Crofton and made the headlines.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
One rule I have is that NO Mud Shad will come over the rail in my boat. They are one stinking fish but I will say they are fun to catch I mean snag. That is a nice Bronzeback WTG...

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For some reason the smallmouth in the tidal Potomac or that section of the tidal Potomac can grow to absolute enormous proportions. They look totally different than there upper river counterparts. They have huge hump backs like steroid freak line backers and pack a punch to back it up. This fish was a little guy in comparison to what is around there right now. Once they spawn, they seem to vanish though. Then it's the usual 12 inchers or 10 inchers that take over. So if you want a trophy smallmouth, like a trophy compared to Lake Erie, than the tidal Potomac is the place to go. I've got to see what else is around, only just figured out that fishery last year or the year before. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.