Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on the Rappahanock above the fall line this past Saturday and the Gizzard shad where so thick you could walk across their backs and not get your feet wet. No hickories or american yet or at least not any that could be caught. What is the situation on the James?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I grew up calling them Alwife's. You catfish pros call them Gizzard Shad. Whats the difference.

Heads up. The Glitter boats will be in full force on the James 4/16. I'll be in the Black/Purple Champion shooting for the Hooters[excited][excited][excited][excited][excited][excited][excited]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Catfish and stripers aren't the only ones eating them shad. The oriental folks at Walker's Dam used to keep all they caught and any we caught if they could get them! Personally I think they make excellent bait for crab pots! Gizzards or Alewife, you gotta love smell!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will from this point forward kill every gizzard shad I can to keep them from destroying our beloved bass population.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
what do you think joe ?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Didn't know gizzerd shad were a problem. The susquehanna is loaded with them & many fisherpeople[tongue]net em and ketch EX-large smallmouth bass

1 - 12 of 12 Posts