Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy.

I'm just about to close on my first house and move to Glebe Harbor.

I've fished the Bay 2-6 times a year since 1988, usually with friends or on charters, and almost always out of Ridge. I've been a tidal water catfisherman on the Rapp and Potomac for longer than that, and certainly understand tides. Most of my fishing in the last 15 years or so, however, has been on rocky rivers all up and down the East Coast for smallmouth bass.

So it will be awhile before I get a boat big enough to run out into the Bay proper. I'll have a 14' jon, a canoe, and a kayak. Which means the first order of business is to LEARN Machodoc Creek and the sheltered points... whatever I can fish safely. Please note: my paddling skills aren't at the expert level, but they're way above intermediate.

Believe it or not, the ubiquitous croaker is my favorite Bay fish by far. Charter captains frown at me because I like to go as light as possible for them (bass gear). Heck, if I can talk my buddies into it, I would rather spend any moving tide searching for a croaker school than setting up a chum line for a 2-fish/man small summer rock limit.

I also plan on using bass gear for trout. Particularly soft plastic jerkbaits such as Super Flukes, live mummichogs, and Yamamoto grubs on round jigheads.

As for rockfish, I have nothing against them except that I detest trolling no matter how big the fish are and how successful the method is. Don't mind casting to them or slinging bait at all though.

I can read a fishing map, and it seems to me that the creek I'm on just can't be that bad of a fishing hole. Better looking than the average tidal creek in the area, I would think, but then, I'm not there yet, am I?

If you have some thoughts about any of this, I would love to hear them.

Thanks in advance. I've semi-lurked here for a year or two.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I have had much more experience on Nomini Creek, just above Lower Machodoc but they could be similar.

Croaker fishing is usually good around the mouth of Nomini. Especially good at night in 12-30' around King Copsico Point and on the other side near Hollis Island in similar depth. Croaker are sometimes numerous, especially in spring, further up above the rock wall and in the channel.

Nomini has great white perch fishing and I would expect the same in Lower Machodoc. Shallow, brackish water has been good using small beetlespins with a white grub. This bait and li
ve grass shrimp produce well from the Nomini to the Coan where I am now.

Welcome and good luck Will be happy to trade experiences with you.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Detest trolling? How is that possible? I think there will be alot of croaker up in the river this spring as always. There are quite a number of people who fish for croakers with grubbs or jiggs with dropper flies (this season starts early). I'm not sure how far up the river your creek is but don't forget about those puppy drum that some times show up or the small flounders. Both can be caught with light bass fishing gear if you can get your bait to the bottom.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
[Q]grubthrower originally wrote:
I'll have a 14' jon, a canoe, and a kayak...
...I detest trolling
[/Q]I probably wouldn't enjoy that very much either.[smile]

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I knew my words about trolling would be provocative.

The only reason I hate trolling is that I want to fight fish, not boat wake. Sure, I understand that if you take the boat out of gear every time a rock hits, you're going to lose a lot of fishing time at the very least... and will probably have even worse problems. Doesn't mean I have to like pulling logs up to the boat. I would rather have a 20" rock on cutbait than a 36" trolling, any day.

But I'm still gonna go out trolling with my buddies each spring, simply because I want a single 40"+ for the wall, and trolling is by far the most effective way to put big rock in the boat.

BTW: best fish I ever caught trolling: a huge northern pike, trolling a weighted Mann's Stretch 25+ over a rocky breakline in Lac La Croix, Canada, about 45' of water... from a canoe. When I'm in the Boundary Waters, I NEVER paddle across big water without dragging something behind me.

And even though I know the milk runs out of Ridge well enough to navigate back at night using a Mark 1 eyeball, I do have to admit up front that I'm not really a Bay-type of guy.

I'm a river rat. Any river, any size, any season, any fish that's there. The two types of fishing I am best at is Class II moving water floatfishing for smallmouths (especially 3-7 day expedition trips) and tidal water baitdunking for channel catfish.

I know I have a lot to learn... in fact, I am much more looking forward to learning what is basically a new "home" water for me than I am in catching a mess or two for the pan. Since I'm dealing with migratory fish, that gonna take seasons rather than months.

The mouth of Lower Machodoc is two miles wide and it goes back quite a ways. That's a reasonable amount of water to learn, since I plan on learning every tiny scour hole and bar in it.

Any of you creek-fishing guys who can cut that learning curve a little, your help would be greatly appreciated. Not looking for specific locations in this or any other creek, really. Mainly interested in knowledge about how fish in our area relate to large tidal creeks and the structure therein, along with seasonal patterns.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Grubthrower, I think as you get more involved than a few days a year on the Bay, that you will find that there are more ways to enjoy it than piddling around for croaker all the time. You can have a lot of fun fishing light tackle for trout, croaker, bluefish, stripers, puppy drum, and even spot. Sometimes when the Spanish are thick and working the surface you can cast to them too. You could probably go anywhere in the Potomac and the creeks with a 19 ft. or bigger center console if you pick your days. You might be interested in the Northern Neck Anglers Club as a place to learn more about the Bay. Good luck and good learning.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Using large mouth bass size reel/rod cast top water plugs when the water in over 70 degree June to October in 1 to 4 ft of water. Fish erly and late when the sun is not shinning on the water. You will be in for a some excitement. Very few people in this in this area. Probably due to the fact so many do nothing but troll for rock fish. Usually during the summer trolling only produce under 19" fish. Casting in the skinny water during low light conditions will produce rock up to 30" 10 lbs or so. Most will be 22" to 25" fish. Like any other fishing it is not always guaranteed but it is the best way to catch keeper rock during the summer until the water cools down. Those fish will get close into shore and feed all night. Just look at the chart and pick out some good shallow points, bars, or just fish the shore line just as if you are large mouth bass fishing. There is a good area just around the corner from you in the river. It is called Herring Pond. Fish the rocks in the area and the shore line. The fish are hard to hook on top water but fun to watch until you do get a good hook set. One evening last summer my neighbor and I caught 11 keepers up to 25" and many small fish in about 1.5 hours. I would say 75% of the time I get at least one keeper. Even without get fish in the boat I usually get some explosive hits.

During the Fall there is a sharp point in the creek across from Dahgers Oyster House on the Coles Point side you can cast for a few fish on. I use 4" shad on a jig head and if they are there you can get a few and if you do not get a hit after 15 cast or so come back to try another time. At times you can pick up 4 or 5 nice fish there real fast. I cast when the water is above 70 and troll for big fish when it cools. I like all fishing but I like top water fishing better than anything.

I will be glad to show you this summer. I grew up in Tidwells close to the Gleb. Now I live not far away the opposite side of Nomini Bay.

Tu

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, guys.

Eventually I'll figure out all of the water I can safely reach.

One of the reasons I am psyched to be living on water too salty even for catfish is the seasonal nature of the fishery.

Us mainly-freshwater guys have seasons that dictate only methods, not species.

Whatever's available in the Macodoc on, say, June 14th -- that is fun to catch -- is what I'll be targeting. Same goes for October 31st.

Skinny, I most definitely wish to talk futher with you... since you know my water. Even if you are mainly a striper guy (remember, I love stripers, I just hate trolling for them). And X-Caliber, same to ya about the meeting/talking; thanks for the welcome. And you other guys too.

I hope to get to know all the northerneckers here as time goes by. My name's Craig and I work for Gun Owners of America. Being single and telecommuting gives me more fishing time than most 43-year old non-pros.

I do hunt, but while I enjoy it, it's just not in my blood the way the water is. Folks say, "A bad day fishing is better than a good day working." I say, "A good day fishing is better than than a great night with [insert hot celebrity of your choice]."

Which is why February is only 28 days -- anglers couldn't stand it if it lasted 31.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you can get around the corner and into Nomini creek there are some nice channel cats in there. You can start around the first bridge but by the time you get to the second bridge the water is very fresh. The second bridge (Prospect) and beyond you can catch large mouth bass, nice yellow perch, crappie, bluegill, pickerel, carp, gar, est... I had a gar fish attack a orange cork bobber back there last year. I had a live minnow just inches below it and the gar chose the cork over the minnow. It is a little distance from the river maybe 10 miles or so. I should know because I checked it with my GPS but forgot the distance. If you can ride 25 mph or so it would not take you to long to get there from your home. I just like the fact you can have a chance to catch gray trout, spot, croaker, and blue fish and within 15 minutes be large mouth bass or cat fishing.

Lower Machodoc Creek should be along the same but from my experience growing up it is on a much smaller scale as far as catching fish goes. Nomini just seem to be more alive than Machodoc unless something has changed within the last 10 years. I know there are bass back there because I have seen them come out of peeler traps but I have never hooked one on hook and line back there and I grew up on the creek. Mostly I caught white perch. At times A few small size flounder are caught off the stretch of creek beside state Rt 621 on the Tidwells side.

Tu

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was born and raised in Tidwells until I moved in Stratford Harbour 9 years ago. My mom lives on Rt 650 in Tidwells. Before moving out I lived in a house on the corner of Oyster House Rd and Rt 621. You can see it from the church on the curve near by the old store if that is your church. There are two small churches in the area. The other is on the road near the little wooden bridge. I can't remember the name of the road but it is a dead end. I grew up on the water down there. I was crabbing out of a boat by my self at age 12.

Tu

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yeah I go to the church near the old store. I know almost all the folks that go there (including Irving and his brother) I think they run (or used to run) the oyster company.

Do you remeber the name of the guys who got seriously hurt a couple years ago in a boatinf accident on creek. I think it was 4th of July anf they were riding in a speed boat. I think he was a boat mechanic. How is he making out?

Greg

·
Registered
30 Posts
I know Irving well. He has known me since I was born. Tell him I said hello. The guys who got hurt were Turk and Peacock. I grew up around them both even though they are a little older than I. I see Turk every now and then and he has been back working on the water and hunting for and while now. I'm not sure about Peacock but I do know he recover but I'm not sure how well is he doing.

I can't wait for top water fishing on the point!!!!!

Tu

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just bought a place on Glebe Point also at Glebe Point Campground. I'd love to hear more info on the area fishing too especially during May-june. Thanks
Steve

1 - 15 of 15 Posts