Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st let me say believe Global Warming is happing but I'm a fence sitter on whether it's a good, bad or neutral thing or even if we humans are excellerating it. What I'm saying is that I can be swayed. The reason is because in I don't see the winters like we did in the 70's, but from what I've read it seems out planet was way warmer and colder in past history. How else do you explain tropical plant fossils found up north or the giant glacier that made the Chesapeake bay??

Back to the original questions, is Global Warming bad? I'm really wondering about this because it seems many are worried about CO2 emissions and that the planet is dying because of it.

Yes, I understand that too much CO2 causes the weather to warm, but it's CO2 what plants need? If there's an abundence of CO2, wouldn't we get more vegetation, faster plant growth and what not? It seems global warming could help produce food easier and faster. It also seems it might allow rainforest to propagate itself quicker then if we had less CO2. Warmer weather also should allow for a longer growing season.

As for rising sea levels, I don't know if that's a bad thing. At least for those that don't live on the waters edge.

More water means better dilution of pollutants in the water. I would also think it would mean more fish being there's more room for them. Also warmer waters seems to mean more varieties of sea life. Can you imagine catching those warm water fish up here or further north? I don't know if it's true or not, but it seems there are just more fish where waters are warmer too.

So what do you think about Global Warming? Is it really bad as some make it out to be or might it be a good thing?

- Dae

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Yeah in about 500 years the Honga should be full of Tarpon and Snook:bigfish:

·
Registered
861 Posts
My personal opinion is the human race is the equivalent to a pimple on the Earth's A**. The temperature swings before human history were far more extreme then they are now. Species become extinct everyday, and new species are discovered everyday. If the Global Warming fanatics are really that excited - they should be making birth control mandatory instead of outlawing incandescent light bulbs and screwing with your car's engine. If human beings can't survive under the future conditions of the Earth - we'll be one of the extinct species. Not to worry, the cockroaches will be here forever!!

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
Im makin the most of my time on this planet. Extreme Internal Combustion etc..

Do you realy think all the garbage dumped in the oceans and landfills just "goes away"

When almost all fish that we eat have warnings associated with them, thats pretty bad.

And whats up with all the bottled water? Whats wrong with what comes from my faucet?

When they offer me an electric/hydrogen/natural gas/solar car with BALLS, Ill consider it. right now it takes 8 cylinders to make me happy.

MG:thumbup:

Etc etc

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Dae,
I'm with you. It’s happening and the data shows it but it pretty hard to ignore the many temperature swings this planet has endured in its couple of billion year history.

We like to feel like we’re important and in control but in reality we’re nothing more than a temporary passenger upon this small interplanetary piece of dust we call Earth. In the end, the Earth will continue to revolve and the sun and all that man will have left behind are fossils. Just like the millions of species that follwed before us.

I'm more concerned about the next big asteroid that decides to plant itself in downtown Manhattan. It’s over due according to the data also.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
I would not read to much into it,they have not totally proven what is causing so called global warming.Some science suggest it could be a natural occurrence.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
I see where glaciers are disappearing. I also thing we may be accelerating it. But I always get stuck on the fact that the amount of time we have been collecting data is statistically insignificant compared to the time these events take to happen.

·
Registered
126 Posts
its given that there have been a lot of temperature swings in the past history. but there have also been large increases in CO2 in the past centuries!! which for those of you playing along, is before cars and other man made vehicles... CO2 and temp. changes have been noted in history, but whether humans are playing a large role in the changes now, i havent a clue.

as far as some more ways that the Earth removes CO2 by itself, the actual degradation of the Himalayan Mountains removes CO2 from the earths atmosphere. so over the years it has been removing CO2.

In case some of you are wondering, i had to take a class about the global environment last semester and global warming was the theme of the class....:death: :censored:

Mark.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Sure, swings in temperature and climates have occured many times over the eons. The last ice age ended some 20,000 years ago. My issue is that we may very well be in a swing towards a warmer climate, but the anthropogenic activities (fossil fuel emissions, elimination of the rain forest, urban sprawl, etc.) are accelerating it. I'm not the "greenist" person, but I do consider myself more tree-hugger than not and just try to tread lightly and leave little behind me.

·
Registered
126 Posts
But I always get stuck on the fact that the amount of time we have been collecting data is statistically insignificant compared to the time these events take to happen.
although scientists have been collecting data a short time, they have been able to get records of CO2 levels and other measurements from glaciers.

imagine taking a hollow pipe and pounding it in the ground and then pulling it out. well now your pipe is full of mud, so you take a stick and push the earth out of the pipe. well this is basically what the scientists do on glaciers. every time it snows, it adds to the snow already on the ground, so you end up with layers (think the different colors of rock on the side of the Grand Canyon.) well with these different core samples, they take portions from the layers and run tests on them. from these tests they can show CO2 levels, temp levels (based on amount of snow), and a ton of other things. they have records that go back hundreds of years, and that is how they compare todays levels to previous periods.

Mark.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
although scientists have been collecting data a short time, they have been able to get records of CO2 levels and other measurements from glaciers.

imagine taking a hollow pipe and pounding it in the ground and then pulling it out. well now your pipe is full of mud, so you take a stick and push the earth out of the pipe. well this is basically what the scientists do on glaciers. every time it snows, it adds to the snow already on the ground, so you end up with layers (think the different colors of rock on the side of the Grand Canyon.) well with these different core samples, they take portions from the layers and run tests on them. from these tests they can show CO2 levels, temp levels (based on amount of snow), and a ton of other things. they have records that go back hundreds of years, and that is how they compare todays levels to previous periods.

Mark.
Ok, so does that mean what's happening now is fine or not?

Regardless whether it's good or not, are there any benefits to Global Warming? I'm thinking the benefits might out weigh the possible dangers. A benefit I didn't post originally is that if we have warmer weather, we'll use less oil which reduces carbon from our tail pipes.

- Dae

·
Registered
126 Posts
im not arguing you...

im not sure that there are really any pros or cons to global warming. there will always be two sides to a story no matter what information is given to people. some will say hurray, and some will consider it the end of the earth.
i personally believe that this is just earth's hotflashes. theres nothing that humans are going to be able to do to change it. based on that, i also personally believe that there are many more important things,and more threatening things, going on that need our studies and focus more than 'global warming'

im not going to live my life differently if tomorrow they come out with more statistics about global warming. the 100 or so years that i will live is nothing compared to the earth, so the things that i do over the short amount of time that im in existance wont have a huge effect.

and if 'offshore' fish come closer to shore, all the better...cuz right now i cant get to them in my boat...:nono:

Mark.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Dae,

There may be short term benefits to global temperatures rising a few degrees, as in warm water species moving north, but the negatives outway them I am sure. One thing to consider about glacial melting is that it is mostly fresh water. Increasing the amount of fresh water in the oceans decreases salinity.

Another thing that was mentioned earlier is that there have been large temperature swings in the past. Well, there haven't been very large temperature swings while human beings were present on this planet. There was a "mini ice age" back in the 1300's-1500's or something like that, but current global average temperatures are the highest they have ever been while humans have been around.

A problem with the CO2 buildup is that most of it is in the atmosphere, not where the plants are growing.

Anyway, I am not necessarily a green person. I drive a 1989 Jeep Cherokee that get's 17 mpg if I'm lucky, has a smelly exhaust, and leaks fluids. But I do think that if we are interested in having a place for future generations to live, we could all probably do some work to cut down on greenhouse gasses.

I recently read a book called "Field Notes from a Disaster" by Elizabeth Colbert. I think there was one chapter that had some government bashing, but overall it was informative.

Mike

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
There seem to be as many scienetists that say we are warming the planet, as there are that say it's a natural ocurrance. After all, 20,000 years ago there where glaciers in PA. So the earth has been warming for 20,000 years. Not much we can do about it. Saw a show on Discover Channel the other night and some scienetist actually think that some pollution actually creates more cloud cover which reflects the suns rays and cools the earth. So what do I know? I think we all need to go fishing and let Al Gore deal with it. Well maybe that's not a good idea either. Let's just go fishing.:yes:

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
All I know is this time last year the yeller run was done and over. Heck right now the ponds around me on the upper shore are still locked. No sign of running neds yet. I thinks its getting colder not warmer. On a more serious note, yes we are accelerating global warming. Its the rate that we are doing it that is the issue. Nature doesnt work on the scale of decades or centuries.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Is it really in our control?

:yinyang: :confused:
Geologically speaking, overall, the earth has been "warming" over the last 10,000 years (coinciding with the development of modern man). This particular "cycle" isn't over yet, and since people regard time in terms of their on generation, or perhaps several generations (a coupla hundred years or so??) rather than Geologic time (millions of years), it seems that this warming is occurring ALL OF THE SUDDEN. An acceleration of global warming has been scientifically documented since the industrial revolution. Will we see these exacerbated affects in our lifetime, or our chillens lifetime? I don't think anyone knows for sure, we may be seeing minor effects right now. Is there something that can be done? Maybe, but will curtailing sprawl, reducing emissions and waste and rain forest elimination affect this cycle in our lifetime? That all seems cancelled out with developing 3rd world countries and the such. Are we worrying trying to squelch something that may be beyond our powers to begin with? Prolly.

As a Geologist by trade, the history of the earth recorded under our feet, mountains, oceans and ice packs will never stop to boggle my (LTJ'n cramped) little mind.

So...lets go fishin':clap: Just remember to tread lightly and leave as little impact on our environment as possible. Winter time used to be awesome :bigfish: . Not this winter!:censored: We're in desperate need of reports!:helpsmilie:
Getting of the :soapbox:

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
It`s all Al Gore`s fault.
Yea...he burns more fuel on a single take-off of his personal jet than my entire family burns in 3 cars and 2 boats in an entire year. His house takes something like 8 times the amount of BTUs to heat in a year than mine.

Now tell me again who is responsible for global warming?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts