Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
A few years ago I took an introductory course on solar electric for homes.What it amounts to is this.They used 10,12v batteries in series for 120v,or 20 batteries for 240 v.The batteries are stored in a shed outside the home.The batteries have a life expectancy of 10 yrs.when maintained properly,watered,cleaned & charged.The solar panels and/or windmill are used as a battery charger to keep the batteries charged.An inverter is used to change the DC voltage to AC voltage.to buy everything you needed to do the job yourself was around $20 thousand.I wonder why this isn't an option on new homes?I wonder what the cost woud be for this option on a home or to have it installed?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's interesting, I never heard of the battery deal. I heard of some systems that you sell electric back to the grid during the day when demand is highest and your use would be low. Then buy it back at night when demand is low and yours high at cheaper prices. Don't know much about it.

I wonder if it is more economical for a Business with flats roofs and Daytime demand? Hence no need to store the energy or sell it.

Where did you take that solar course?

Thanks,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.