Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, what's the go to rod for casting a 425 grain sinking line? Sage xi2 10wt? Scott S3s? I need some details. Anything cheaper that's light, but can handle a sinking line like a 425grn like a Temple Fork TiCR?

·
Registered
54 Posts
TFO 10wt TiCR

That rod is beefy................the TFO TiCR looks aned feels more like a 12 weight and it is pretty thick in the butt section. The Sage is great, but you are going to shell out $650. The Scott G3 is also a great rod, but again over $600. I like the TFO rods and have been pleased with the 9wt I have. I have a 10ft 9wt in the professional series. Loomis GLX is another one to look at as well in the 10wt, but again..........big bucks. The Orvis T3 rods are also rockets at arround $550.

So.....................go and cast the TFO rods.....................you will be impressed and you can buy two or three of them for the price of the Sage. $25 lifetime replacement..........decent components.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Hey Bull - Why limit yourself to 425 grain? Are your targeting something that requies a 10 or 11wt rod?

If not, it's a whole lot nicer to cast a 350 or less. And for a given line type, they hae the same sink rate.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
My favorite is 10 wt Sage Xi2. I also use a 10 wt Loomis GLX CC. The Loomis has more guts in the butt for pressuring strong fish, but I like casting the Sage. The Sage is smooth and easy to cast and very forgiving.

A more inexpensive rod that comes very close to the top end stuff is the Reddington 10 wt CPS. It is not thick like the TFO rods, it is light and fires a line a long way. They can be purchased for under $300.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sage Xi2's are the ticket, especially for a long day of chuckin'. This rod will make you a better caster period whether you are throwing a heavy sinking line or a floater. The TFO's seem empty in the butt. Too light and really nothing there even though they are thicker. Not something I like to cast. Might wear you out after a full day with a sinking line. Wild Bill's call on the Redington CPS is a good one. Suprising rod for the money.
TK

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the reason for limiting myself to the 425 grain is that's what I bought when I was getting into the saltwater sport and didn't know much about matching up sinking lines with rods. It's a Corland 444 sl 425 grain, and on the box it said for 8-12wt rods...so I figured 9 or 10wt would cast it. Not so much, my 9wt Orvis Clearwater Classic throws it, but it slings it like a cable. I've caught plenty of stripers (25-30" range) on it, but my casting arm would be out of commission the day following a fishing trip.

I will be targeting Cobia and the big red drum and big stripers this year. Plus, albies at year's end. So I wanted something nice to cast with a good bit of beef to it. I know the xi2 and the s3s are what everyone reccomends). Right now, I basically use my T3 8wt for everything (schoolies, specks, puppy drum). I have a a Teeny TS250 on that and Cortlands Lil'Tuny Intermediate, which I'm very happy with. Bascially, just want to replace my Clearwater 9wt. as that was my beginner salt rod. I'm willing to pay 350 and up b/c I want a good investment(i.e., after that it'll be years before the wife allows me to buy another rod:nono: ).

So the Redington CPS is good for casting sinking lines and handling big fish. What about the Orvis TLS? I know that's in the same price range? And the TFO TiCr is too bulky?

Another important thing is a lifetime warranty. I know Scott has a great one, so does TFO. SUpposedly the Sages do too, but I never hear anybody mention their warranty as much as Scott's.

I really appreciate everyone's imput; it's so helpful to create a thread and have an answer in such a short time.

Thanks Alot.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scott s3s

No one seems to know anything about the Scott s3s. I've heard they are just as great as the Sage xi2, if not better. Someone said the Scott s3s 10wt is actually a 10.5wt?

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
hmm dunno about that. My S3s 8wt is considered very powerful, and will happily throw a 9wt line. But I don't think its rated incorrectly.

It is an awesome rod tho. And I haven't had to use the great warranty (Unlike like my thrice-rebuilt Orvis T3!)

·
Registered
318 Posts
I snapped one of my Sage rods a few years back (big albie in shallow water decided to run at then under the boat) and I recall paying $40 to have the fragments sent back and the new section returned. The Orvis TLS is not a bad stick but if you are looking to make the investment and be truly happy, then go the Xi2 or Scott. A couple years back, another angler I met at Deadman's Cay was raving about the Scott rods and I was replying with the same on the Sage end. We decided to switch up for one day to see which stick was better and both rods (8 wts) could throw the full line and felt great as they loaded. Both could handle the fish and any other voodoo we could throw at them so we called it a draw and drank a few Kaliks to top off a great day. I have not thrown the new Orvis Zero G in the 10 or 12 yet but I have some buds that are high on it. The 8 is a feather yet suprisingly strong. I hope to get one of the Richmond Orvis guys out this June to hang a big cobia on one to see what happens. If I can just get the fish to eat the fly.

TK

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TK-

I'm kean on trying the Zero G 10 and 12 as well. I was happy to see they didn't stop at 9. The 8 is very nice to cast, but I'm in love with my T3 8wt. I'm worried the ZG doesn't have the beef to handle the sinking lines though. Probably a great Tarpon/Bonefish rod though. I might even go with another T3 in a 10wt. I'm very happy with mine. There are plenty of nice casting rods that can handle big fish out there, but I really want one that will cast a sinking line well. I don't want my rod snapping as I haul a 425 grn 60-80ft. Definitely going for the investment, but that doesn't necessarily mean I want to spend $500+

Good luck with the Cobia. That's going to be my biggest challenge this year. I've had flies tickle there noses and they just won't strike! Almost as frustrating as fresh.trout fishing, but...ahhhh the reward is so great.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Another rod to consider is the St Croix Ulra Legend in a 10 wt. I've been using one for years to throw 35' of T-14 (490 grs.). Email championoutfitters.com for a price. Also carries a lifetime warranty. I think you will be pleased with your decision.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Albright XX

Anyone test drove the Albright XX or tried it out fishing; it's designed specifically for sinking lines, but they claim it casts regular fly line better than any other rod. They actually rate the rod by grain of the sinking line. 9wt= 350-400, 10wt=450-500 ....There's a decent price tag on them...$300-$400.

·
Registered
318 Posts
C4D,

I hear you on the cobia tease. Had 2 big fish that would not commit last year. Did manage to catch a small 24" cobe almost by accident. My xi2 10 wt. will throw a Teeny 650. Takes some practice but it does well. When fishing the heavy sinkers, you really aren't trying for distance, you just want to be able to manage/control the line. Most cases you make a 30-50' cast then pay out the line to let it get down as you drift. I even have an old RPLXi that is actually very good at throwing the 450 to 650 grain lines. Little less feedback thatn the Xi2 but gets it done. I'll ask some of my Montauk peeps what they think of the Albright. I know a couple fish them in the surf up there but haven't heard how they compared.

TK

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Well I've said this before. I'm lazy and don't want to work hard at casting. Sooooo for a 425 to 450 grain line . I'm sorry guys but I go to my 12 weight rods. Which I have two. This may also come as a supise to most of you. The cheap old fenwick HMG 12 wt. Not only feels light in the hand. But will cast both of the lines above very well. I don't have one but have cast one many times. Amd do most of you know where the guys from sage started and learned their trade? Yep working for Fenwick.:yes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts