Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My buds Simon and Don liked what they saw when Larry Dahlberg was catching huge Golden Dorado at the base of LaZona dam in Argentina. They just returned and the fish were as shown on Larry's show: Hunt for Big Fish.

Simon described the fishing much like fishing below the Conowingo Dam. The water was high and fast but the guys managed to catch some dandies on the fly and others on big swimming plugs. These fish were considerably larger than the ones we caught in the shallow slow waters of the Ibera Marsh two years ago. Thought you may enjoy a few pics. Biggest golden was 38 pounds.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Awesome!! Forward some big congrats to them on those fish, those are some pigs!:bigfish: I'm sure that fishing was only half of the adventure.
Later, Harry

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Thats it I am going SOUTH! Yet another post to degrade my meager existance in Va Beach!

Great shots!:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wow is all I can say. I will be there in August this year. My wife and I are doing a three week whirlwind of South America-Rio, Buenos Aires, Santiago, Montevideo, and Iguazu Falls. Dahlberg's show sent me into hyper-mode, but this post sends me over the edge! I particularly like the fact that the fishing is analogous to striper fishing. I have reserved two days on the bow at the dam. Would love to hear more about your friends trip!:fishing2:

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I have caught hundred of these awesome fish in the Parana River in Paraquay. What a great fishery they have their. The fish fight hard as hell, their acrobatics are incredible and the actually taste wonderful. In the Parana we also caught tiger Shovelnose - which they call surubi, Pacu the size of trash can lids and some big ole piranahas. I would highly recommend getting down their at least once in a lifetime. The place is call Ayolas, Paraquay

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They used 10 wt rods and big flies on wide gap 5/0 strong hooks. Simon had a pro tier bud of mine tie him a batch of flies patterned after ones I tied two years ago. His were a little bigger but looked like this.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wild Bill- thanks for the info. I assume with the spun heads, vibrant colors/flash and contrast, the flies need to push water and stand out to be found in the murky water. I'm gonna tie a bunch for my trip, maybe a rattle somewhere? Sorry for the inquiry, was it primarily a 550+grain affair or were they able to take fish on anything lighter/intermediate? Getting unweighted spun heads to plummet can be tough. Lastly, wire traces- any preference?

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Simon used a SA Custom Tip Express. The flies were unweighted. Golden Dorado have relatively poor eyesight and depend heavily on their lateral line. That is why flies that push water are important. Simon took 40 pound camo knotable wire. He said he was able to catch about four fish on a fly before the tails were gone. He bought 36 but did not use nearly all of them. You need stout tackle because the current is strong, the boats were tied fast and the guides did not move them. You have to be able to pull the big strong fish against the current. They lost quite a few fish.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks again I appreciate the info. I've had my eyes on those fish for years, as well as a few others in S.A. My wife is Brazilian and spent most of her childhood in Uruguay and Argentina. Her parents are still there and have arranged for a friend with a skiff to take me two days. It won't be peak season but I don't care. I don't think this fella is an angler, so I'll probably be guiding myself - pretty intimidating. But, I do like the idea of centering my fishing around the dam simply because it narrows my search of unfamiliar water. This is supposed to be my introduction to her half of the globe, not a fishing trip- funny how things change. That being said I'm just trying to glean all I can before I'm just some ****** on the bow of a strangers boat. Again, many thanks

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Simon was born and raised in BA and speaks fluent Spanish. That was a huge help when we fished the Ibera Marsh. We had no outfitter. Simon and his friend Freddy from BA set everything up and interpreted as needed. I would not have gone without their efforts.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Before we went I bought a DVD to learn Spanish. I am too old to really want to do that and tied a lot of flies and fiddled with tackle instead. It did not take long to learn red wine, white wine, beer, chocolate ice cream, i.e., all the important stuff. The gals who served us three great meals a day got a big kick out of our attempts at Spanish.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Simon reads TF and sent me this information.

Bill-

Tell the fly fisher from Tidalfish that no boats are permitted close to the dam. They have to stay 1,000 yards away from it. Every day we had to report to the people in charge and had to show them our passports in order to fish close to the dam.

Only 2 boats per day may fish the area near the dam and they need a special permit. Other boats line up on the 1000 yard mark & anchor but catch very few Dorado. They mainly fish with bait for a fish called Boga.

Simon

It sounds as the guides and the government have the Golden Dorado fishing up at the dam pretty tightly controlled with permits. You may want to check out the permit situation with your friend with the boat, if you have not done so.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hey Jason I'll take one for the team and head down there with you. Spanish is my native language being Cuban-American and all so I can be an asset. Heck I'll even carry your bags and stuff!!!

You know how to reach me:D

-Hurricane Carlos

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wild Bill- Priceless info, tell Simon thanks. Looks like I have some work to do. I would imagine without a liscensed outfitter I have a snowballs chance in South America at getting tight to the dam with only two daily slots. Worse comes to worse I can easily throw 1000 yds with my 10 wt.;) Carlos, whats happenin' hombre. I'd take you in my carry-on but I need the room on my return trip for my contraband :eek: My wife would castrate me with a rusty spoon (method of choice for scorned Latin women) if she found out I was taking friends, she's cool with the kilos. In all seriousness, we ought assemble a group interested in fly-travel and piece together some future trips- anywhere for that matter! I don't know what it is, but for my money nothing beats chasing fish with a fly in foreign waters. Maybe its the combination of new adventure, travel, food, people, and fish that quickens my pulse. I don't know, but there's just something special about getting on plane with a fly-rod:thumbup: I really want to do the homework for a return trip to Manaus in the north of Brasil which I understand can be a good jumping off point for an Amazon adventure...monster peacocks in the jungle are among the top fish/experiences on my life list. Nuttin to it but to do it. Lets roll!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Man I'm game and you're welcome to join us on ANY adventure too.

I have a Cuban wife man I've dodged the rusty spoon more times than I care to remember. :wacko: I'm throwing some quarters in the piggy bank tonight for the Overseas Fishing With Jason Trip (aka the OFJT)! Reminds of a story I have about the Jimmy Fund which is a great cause that raises money for pediatri ccancer patients. But that's a story best told with a couple of drinks.:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Now those are some fish!!! I have to get there for sure, looks amazing:bigfish: :rockingreport:
Nice job Simon!

Thanks for posting Bill!

Brandon

1 - 20 of 20 Posts