Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
….on the lake :D

Every once in a while I post a bass fishing report when the bay reports might be lacking due to rain / wind like tomorrow (12/10) looks to be.

This year I have done a lot of fishing in the Chesapeake thanks to this site. I found out about Tidalfish in March of this year and since then I have met some really good fishermen that have turned me onto the bay. It seems like every time I fish with a new TFer the fish get bigger and bigger. I love meeting new fishing friends and catching huge rock. However, I can not forget where it all started and the friends it started with.

I haven't been out on the local lake with my buddy Matt in quite some time. The last time was a few months ago but before then it had been a very long time- too long…here is the report from that day if you have some time and care to read it.
http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/che...oo-windy-bass-fished-instead-w-pic-vid-3.html

As teenagerss Matt and I used to fish the lakes on a regular basis together. I have hundreds of pictures and Matt literally has a thousand or more of bluegill, crappy, perch, walleye,northern pike, smallmouth, largemouth, trout - you name it, we have a ton of pictures. We often took girls out on the boat sunbathing while we slayed big summer pigs;-)- those were the days! My point is that even though I sometimes drive hours to catch huge rock, I still have fun catching fish in the local lakes that kept me coming back for more throughout my youth. To Matt and I, landing a 5lb smallie thrills us just as much as landing a 50lb striped bass. I can't even get Matt to go fishing with me on the bay!! Even after showing him all the pics you guys have been posting lately of huge trophy rock in the area, he still believes there is a 10lber waiting for him in the lake:D Anyway, we had a great afternoon today and here's how it went…

We headed out about 1:00 and went to a point where we have caught fish this time of year before. Matt had pulled a few off of this spot last week so we knew it would most likely be holding fish. The water temperature was about 45 degrees and slightly stained. We fished 30ft of water because the bass tend to school up deeper seeking warmer water temps further down this time of year. The presentation is sllllooowwww this time of year. The meter showed perch / crappy holding on a brush pile near where we were fishing off the point (I wonder how that brush pile got there;-)).

Photobucket

I quickly hooked into a nice bass off the point:clapping2: Yes, I know the hat looks funny but its warm!:D

Photobucket

The score was quickly 1-0 and I sure made Matt well aware:D I said something like "it'd be a shame to outfish the captain...again" with a smile. But Matt had other plans for the afternoon:eek2: He got into this fish right away...

http://i386.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid386.photobucket.com/albums/oo303/spynet000/Movie1.flv

Photobucket

You can see the smurk on Matts face in this pic knowing he had just settled the score. We caught and quick released a few more bass at this spot but then decided to leave after we snagged the brush pile a few times disturbing the area. We would come back to this spot.

Headed to a rocky strip that sat in roughly 40ft of water. Here it is on the meter. If you take a good look, the side scan image looks a little like the view we used to have back when girls would sunbathe on the boat if ya know what a mean:D
Photobucket

Matt made quick work of another nice bass at this spot too...

http://i386.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid386.photobucket.com/albums/oo303/spynet000/Movie2.flv

Photobucket

That spot didn't produce like we had hoped so we went back to the first point / brushpile. Matt was way ahead in the score so I put the camera away and we soon put a pair of doubles aboard:clapping2:

Photobucket

Matt wanted to relocate to try and find a lunker since we already had our fair share of medium sized bass (3lb range) before it got dark on us. We tried several rocky areas but left them quickly because we didn't feel confident they were holding fish. On the way back we stopped at a place where we had done well last year. At this spot last year, we pulled a 7lb walleye and a few other smaller ones off just after dark. It took about ten minutes but Matt locked into this 5lb smallmouth:clapping2: The drag went zzzzzzzzzz. It reminded me of what the WWB 21 Tony / parachute combo sounds like when it gets hit on the bay:D

http://i386.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid386.photobucket.com/albums/oo303/spynet000/Movie3.flv

Photobucket

Photobucket

That was the one we were looking for! Needless to say I stopped keeping score:D Matt really put it on me today, but as a team we got into a lot of nice fish. It was a great afternoon that reminded me I might be catching bigger fish in the bay now but its just as fun coming back to where it all started to show those bass who's boss! Here's to still catchin' in December!:chugbeer:

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Very nice report, Dave. Jigging underwater structure out ahead of a storm front, hmm, sounds familiar! You're living the life man. Good fishing.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Nice report Dave, very enjoyable read. Thanks for taking the time to post it. I'm liking that cameltoe fish finder. How do you like it and would you recommend it for the bay?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice report Dave, very enjoyable read. Thanks for taking the time to post it. I'm liking that cameltoe fish finder. How do you like it and would you recommend it for the bay?
Paul- you better check your eyes boss...I see what you were seeing, but what I was refering to was more of a topless image:D LOL

The side scan is the best unit out there. It will be on my boat when I eventually get something more suitable for the bay. It takes a while to get used to but once you understand the unit- its almost cheating. I posted this image a while back that I put together for people to get a better understanding of what they are looking at on the finder.
If you are the pirate ship then the first car sitting on the bottom is closer to you on your port. The second car is further away on your port. Same thing goes for the other side of the boat. The great part about this finder is that when you get near or go over something worth while you can click on it, zoom in and it will give you the exact coordinates of where it is. Even if you are 200ft away. This unit is deadly around bridge piles. No longer have to waste time on piles that aren't holding bait/ fish. The while lines in the middle of this image are bait fish. You can see how the read on the meter then look over to the side scan unit and they show up as white shadows. Pretty cool.:thumbup:

Photobucket

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Nice report. Nice smallie! That's where I got hooked with my first boat (15' canoe). Haven't fished there in years.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Nice report, you got some nice bass man. I havent been on a lake in about 3 years. I guess I forgot where It all started. This report makes me want to get a trip together. Thanks again for the report.

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
So where were you fishing?
Looks like Prettyboy? I could never get the hang of that place, deep deep jigging is an art.

Loch Raven now I can put a hurt'in on some pickeral.

Sold my reservoir rig to a buddy, would love to get out there again some time, simple and fun.

TIGHT LINES!!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like Prettyboy? I could never get the hang of that place, deep deep jigging is an art.

Loch Raven now I can put a hurt'in on some pickeral.

Sold my reservoir rig to a buddy, would love to get out there again some time, simple and fun.

TIGHT LINES!!
We have a name for the summer pickeral but I can't say it on this board:D All I can say is thats where I first learned to troll. If I couldn't catch fish I would throw out a couple stick baits and turn up the tunes. 4mph cruise and you had all you could handle.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
That must be a nice change of pace...I moved up here about 5 years ago and have only dipped the Bass boat in once....gotta start doing that more often....Nice report

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bill, anything that resenbles a crawfish or minnow down deep. They will hit anything as long as it is presented slow and in front of their face. Bites are mearly a "tick" or just plain snag like feeling.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Great report!! Catching smallies and LM is all good! Glad you had some good pullage! :thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts