Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took one of my periodic "friends from the 'hood" charter fishing Sunday on the Stormy Petrel out of Deale, and it went well. It has been a tough summer, but sometimes it all comes together.

Capt. Steve and Kenny changed the trolling spread considerably, and it paid off. We were running primarily smallish hula 'chutes with 6" shads, trolled as tandems off the boards. Had a few other things out on the boards and on the boat rods, but all the hits came on the hulas off the boards, run with light weight.

We stayed in 30' to 35' all day. The mouths of rivers and creeks from Deale northward were loaded with bait...many false bottoms, almost constant stuff on the meter. Hard to see any individual marks in all the bait. Nervous waters and some breakers visible most of the day; not many working birds except in the shallows. We certainly weren't alone in the area; the Saturday reports suggested things were heating up in this general area, and the message had certainly gotten out to a good number of charters, private trollers and folks out jigging.

There were obviously good fish amidst the bait. We ended up with 3 overs, 3 unders, a few 18+ throwbacks, and 2 rays. Not a blue all day.

On as nice an August Sunday as you can hope for, it was a great way to introduce some newbies and near-newbies to Bay fishing.

Thanks for a great day Capt. Steve; as Van Morrison puts it "Mama told me there'll be days like this"
:clapping2:

·
Registered
14,100 Posts
Took one of my periodic "friends from the 'hood" charter fishing Sunday on the Stormy Petrel out of Deale, and it went well. It has been a tough summer, but sometimes it all comes together.

Capt. Steve and Kenny changed the trolling spread considerably, and it paid off. We were running primarily smallish hula 'chutes with 6" shads, trolled as tandems off the boards. Had a few other things out on the boards and on the boat rods, but all the hits came on the hulas off the boards, run with light weight.

We stayed in 30' to 35' all day. The mouths of rivers and creeks from Deale northward were loaded with bait...many false bottoms, almost constant stuff on the meter. Hard to see any individual marks in all the bait. Nervous waters and some breakers visible most of the day; not many working birds except in the shallows.

There were obviously good fish amidst the bait. We ended up with 3 overs, 3 unders, a few 18+ throwbacks, and 2 rays. Not a blue all day.

On as nice an August Sunday as you can hope for, it was a great way to introduce some newbies and near-newbies to Bay fishing.

Thanks for a great day Capt. Steve; as Van Morrison puts it "Mama told me there'll be days like this"
:clapping2:
Steve is a good Capt and Capt George is the Co Capt. Glad you had a good day!.......... Gary

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
1,699 Posts
Thanks for the report

·
Registered
147 Posts
Leland! Looks like I missed a fantastic day! I'm fishing for at least a few days this week... Most likely from shore but I'd love to have you join me if your free!
Thanks,
Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts