Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the water around 7 am with my buddy Mike. We thought for sure that top water in the grass shallows would be the ticket, but not for us. We caught 3 dinks on 4" BA paddle-tails...not even a tap bouncing metal nor a swirl with top water. The birds showed up around 10 and saved the day (I love birds). We chased birds and breaking fish till 2 and left em biting as we were both getting pretty arm weary from the non-stop action. Mike caught 42 stripers, I caught 29. I woulda caught many, many more if I wasn't operating the boat...hehehe. Unfortunately there was not a keeper in the bunch...18" was the best we could come up with and most were 12" - 16". We both use very light tackle...light rods with 8 - 12# mono, which made the catching great fun even though we were looking for larger fish. We saw maybe 6 other fishing boats all day, one of which ran full throttle, outside the channel, through a really nice school of breakers we were casting to...he knew exactly what he was doing...eeerrr.

Our hot lures were shimano wax wings and freestyle jigs. Technique was to approach fish (birds) very slowly, stopping short of the school and casting as far as we could trying to reach the other side of the breakers, or on the larger schools, casting as deep into em as we could and let lure sink to the bottom (8' - 15') bounce, bounce then rip it like h*ll for 3 or 4 good rips then let it sink to the bottom again (hoping for larger fish) then bounce, bounce, rip, rip, rip. Hook ups were on almost on every cast :D

Air Temp 55* - 74*, water temp 63*, light winds out of the north and very little current, clarity was around 3'. It was a great day to be on the water. Hopefully others enjoyed the day as well and the fish will get larger as the season progresses....Tight Lines.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, you were definitely not the guy that ran thru the school :clapping2: Don't believe we saw you out there but it would be nice to put a face on the name. We were on the west side south of the islands. My boat is a small 16.5', jet black/red graphics, deep v tin, with 70 yammi.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Great stuff. Looking forward to a strong fall. With a lot of nice fish just below us and the baby shad up river, could be real good in late Oct-Nov. Woulda been nice to get more water over the dam after that storm. Actually a big dump in 2-4 weeks would be nice to get the baby shad thru the dam. I know most of you southern MDs don't appreciate that but it actually energizes the whole system...including my well...

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad you had an enjoyable day Mike after all you have been through.
We get together soon and go out.
Going out of Solomons tomorrow on the Fin Finder II..
Thanks Jeff...I still have a few not so good days but all in all am doing well. Lots of fun yesterday :))

Sounds good, buddy...I even bought a new foul weather coat...hehe. Will be in Tioga Co, PA the 3rd week of Oct hoping to stick a deer.

Good luck on your Solomons trip...catch em up. Hope you enjoy your dinner :fishing2:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sounds like fun! We were catching nice fish up to 30" all week on the "upper upper upper" til yesterday. Lots of fish 0 keepers. NEED MORE RAIN!!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi Mike, Glad you got into the fish. You had a nice day of fun.Glad to hear that there is some fish around Hope and pray you continue on with good health. I need to get down and catch some fish. God Bless AL

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi Jeff, Hope you do good on your trip down to Solomons. I/m going out with Walleye Pete at the end of this month at Solomons Tight lines AL

·
Registered
49 Posts
Great post there for sure mwolfe. Love to see the upper upper shared. Will be out there tomorrow. I had to laugh, "I love birds!" Me too!:grin: The wax wings look like a good bait btw

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Good luck tomvwman....(and others). We've had some great striper days there, spring & fall, using waxwings in smaller sizes. My buddy Mike fishes the Keys every Sept and catches a lot of different species on em. Many guys use em for vertical jigging (particularly in deeper salt water) but if you prefer to cast & retrieve they are a fabulous shallow runner when a fast, ripping retrieve is in order. Shhhh....just don't tell anyone. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for sharing MW. That lure looks perfect when fish are reluctant to strike on top. which size is best?
I use the salt water version. They sink faster and deeper if you want to vertical jig, which I wouldn't do over rocks as they will get banged up ($15 - $20 each) but do run sub-surface with a fast retrieve. The #68 - 1/2oz and is 3", the #88 - 7/8oz and is 3.5", the #118 - 1.5oz and is 4.75".

This time of year the 68 and 88 work best. Spring use either 88 or 118. The 118 requires a pretty stout rod...They all cast a country mile.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Glad to hear you got into them. It has been a long summer in the upper upper. As for lures, these work very well and at $2.00-$2.50 each are a lot cheaper. Pmail me if you are interested. Dropper flies have also been accounting for a lot of double hookups, but you need to go to 20 or 30 pound leaders if you use a double rig because two rockfish will break anything less.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts