Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Wife and I took her Father fishing yesterday. He's been a regular on our boat for many years. But at 86 and poor health I worry about how many trips he has left in him. However he continually surprises me with how well he holds up. So anyway we got set up around the G85 about 8:00 in 45' of water and headed south towards G83. We had ten rods out 4 on each side on the planers and one deep one each side with weighted umbrellas. a total of 10 rods. That's about all I dare run if I have to do it all myself. Starboard side all Chartreuse and Port side all White. As soon as we moved away from the small fleet of charters we hooked up with a nice fish in about 40' of water. Pop mustered up the strength from somewhere to reel it in. A quick measurement at 38" and I slid it back in the water. He was spent. Not the fish - with a quick flip of his tail he was gone. Pop however was just about done but he said he was OK and wanted more. So still heading south we got two more knock downs. I sped up to 3 MPH TTW. That did the trick. We boated 2 more - another 38'' reeled in, leadered and netted by me. Now that's a work out. That one too was released unharmed. I kept telling my Wife that the next one was her's. She kept saying no. Well her turn came a little while later on a long line out 135' on the planer. She did manage to get it in and a quick measurement showed 41" so in the box it went. Trolled for another hour or so during a dead tide and called it a day. Already set a date on May 16 to take Pop back out on his Birthday. Hopefully we have the same or better results.

Everything - including the knockdowns came on white off the planer lines. No jellies and no trash. Water was pretty clean except for the vast areas of pollen floating on the surface. Very few marks in the deeper water but from 38 to 42 ' it was loaded.

Looking forward to the next trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Fantastic tale! You are lucky indeed to "return the favor" and put your Pop on fish! What a great feeling!
:thumbup:

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
1,699 Posts
Good for POP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts