Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the old saying, it's not how you start, it's how you finish ! Launched out of PLO at 6:30AM with a neighbor Dan along, into the bya the NOAA SE 5-10 was NE 15 mph with whitecaps. In 26 degree weather we were lucky I have the T-top curtains up to keep from freezing and getting wet in my 21 ft CC. Started setting lines (carefully) halfway between 70 and 72 on west side of channel and on the first pass coming back to the west in 85 ft the WTFB starts singing. Now Dan is new to my boat, he expects the captain wants the first fish no matter what, I tell him to take it, he gives me that I really don't want it look, and so I hand the wheel over to him and start cranking on my Torium 30. Its probably better I did take this fish, the Torium is a manual line distributing deal and the WTFB takes some doing from 275 ft out through all the other 8 lines. In 15 minutes at around 7:45AM a nice fat 38 incher hits the deck.

Now from the last few trips I know better than to think I'm almost done for my overs. Sure enough for the next 2 hours we listen to Jaybird, Jason Norris, and Finn-addict killing them all from this one giant bait pod they have penned in up around 72A while we drone our way back and forth across the channel seeing only an occasional hook up on other boats. At around 10AM I'm getting hints from Dan that he's cold and this may not be happening for him to get his fish. The silver lining is the winds are starting to settle out and the sun is out and he can get warm by getting out of the wind in the front of the boat and in the sun. By then I decided to move to the west side of the channel and look for more bait, I had good luck the last three trips on that side anyway. It was the best move I could have made. As we got there I started seeing tons of bait with fish mixed in, just could not get them to bite (yet). As I was checking the lines for trash and switching out some of the umbrellas at 10:30AM the chartreuse long umbrella went down HARD and the drag was screaming. BIG FISH probably, Dan gets the rod and the fish takes off across the stern, so I start clearing lines. I already had the short deep on the stbd side in, so I brought in the long white umbrella too to make room. Wouldn't you know it, the fish went back to the stbd side so I cleared out the short deep umbrella on that side also. We finally got the fish to the boat and the net, and a nice fat 44 inch 33 lb fish hit the deck. Now what do you have to say about patience Dan ?

Just like in the movie Top Gun where Cruise says he's not going to leave his wingman, I'm not going to leave my bait and biting fish. From 10:30AM with that 44 to 12:30 when we started bringing in the gear we caught 6 fish and the action was almost non-stop. The long umbrellas were EN Fuego!!!! They caught 5 of the last six fish. We never got doubled up, but there were times when not one minute after re-setting the long umbrella it would go down again. I had downsized the short deep umbrellas hoping for slot fish, but the closest we came was a 34 inch fish. The last five were 36, 38, 37, 36, 34, and the last three were covered in sea lice. The fish were biting well in 55-50 ft of water, colors were about even, 5 on long umbrellas, one on WTFB and one on chartreuse tandem off the planer board. My water temp showed 46.5*.

Hope they stay for at least one more weekend, the water temps are getting really close to the lower limits for the bait to stay much longer.

LO

:rockon:

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
That's a great read for a Monday morning while I'm sitting in my office! Glad you guys had a good day! :bigfish:

·
Registered
502 Posts
pleased to see you had a good day north of 70. We had a bit of a time geting on em south of 70. Got a 40" about 2:30 but at least for us it was a fun but tough fishing day

·
Registered
738 Posts
Great report as always Doug:thumbup: We have been having a ball the last couple weeks . We have been very lucky on finding the fish. I have been running a wtfb 385' and it has been smoking every trip. Best part is it's a tld 15 :D Lot's of fun

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments guys.

Jason,

I sometimes will run the WTFB as far back as 300 ft, but when it is windy that line gets a big bow in it and I have missed fish with that much slack in it. Also depends on the number of boats out there. Saturday was almost like opening day between 72 and 70 with the tons of boats out there, and I had almost as many close calls with running over planer boards as opening day.

Looks like the winds are laying down nicely for the weekend, got to make one more trip (which is what I always say to the wife, JUST ONE MORE TRIP).

LO

:rockon:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts