Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left the house this morning at 4:30 with fellow Tfer Chris Bowers and Jason (GoMad) to fish on Chris' 22' Aqua Sport with my gear. Launched at Solomons at 6:45 and headed towards the moiuth of the river when an engine bit the dust on us:censored: Luckily we had two:yes: Thought about turning around but we made a two hr pull to fish and the problem didn't seem to be a fuel issue that would affect the other motor so we continued. Got to 45ft and started setting lines. Heading south and notice that there were a million other boats thinking the same thing:eek2: It took us a while to get everything situated and 20 lines out but by 8:15 we were fishin'. At 8:37 a planner rod went off and I landed a nice mid 30's rock to start the morning. The fish took a white tandem 6 oz off the board 40ft.

Photobucket

Shortly after a chart 6oz single parachute got hit off the board back 60ft. This one was Jasons.:clapping2: I got the pic holding this one though:D

Photobucket

About 25 minutes later I noticed the WWB had been a little off so Chris grabbed it and said "FISH ON"!:clap: Topped off our over limit fairly quickly with some nice mid- upper 30's rock for the freezer.

Photobucket

At 10:30 another board rod got hit. This time it was a Tsunami Storm shad- I think. Here is a short video clip you can see the bait for yourself. This fish was released.

http://i386.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid386.photobucket.com/albums/oo303/spynet000/Tsunamistorm.flv

About 10:50 the dummy line started acting weird and we pulled in a nice fish just under 28 to put in the box for one of our "under" fish:clapping2: This fish hit a double umbrella w/ white 6'' storm shads. For the nex hour or so we didn't get a hit. Boats were slowly fading when we decided to work shallower (50ft) when suddenly a huge bait ball showed up on the meter. I told Jason to make a sharp turn to put some action on the baits. 30 seconds later a chart 6oz single gets hit 50 ft off the board and then the WWB started to ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. I grabbed the planer rod knowing that instead of setting the WWB to its normal 325ft, I set it back to 375ft this time out:D Here we are with a double hook up:clapping2:

Photobucket

I got my fish to the boat and made a quick release because Jason said he definitely had a hog on. Here is my fish as you can see jason struggling with the WWB.

Photobucket

As Jason got the fish closer we noticed a smaller fish flapping at the surface. Me and Chris quicly called him a sissy and told him to man up. Jason then realized he had two on:eek2: Here is Jasons catch on a UTUBE video. ..

YouTube - MVI 0322

Photobucket

As you could tell, Jason was very excited about his catch:D He even called himself "Big Daddy". The big fish ended up being a nice low 40's rock that was released and the smaller rock was just legal for another one of our "unders". The big rock hit a 21 Tony and the smaller rock hit the 6oz chart parachute that was in tandem. Had two more fish boated by 1:00 which completed our over / under limit and threw back the other. Here is Chris with our last "under".

Photobucket

This made a total of 10 in the boat with 3 or 4 other hits on the planers that didn't set. A great -almost December- day on the bay:clapping2:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Summary: We caught most of our fish in 50ft of water and only one of our 14 knockdowns was on a deep rod. 3 fish on the WWB, 10 on the planers and 1 on the dummy. I put 6 rods on each side of the planers and mixed it up with color and sizes. They hit everything today.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
Nice job Dave and crew. Definitely the bite seemed better a little farther south.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Very nice Dave, a great report.
I'd be interested in knowing a little more about those rod holders also.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Marty- Yes, I had them made custom for Chris' boat. I can weld steel but not aluminum so I had them made by a guy in Texas from my drawing. The cost of stainless right now is outrageous. These holders are Aluminum so they aren't as strong as the stainless steel but they do the job. I'm not trying to win a beauty contest with the holders, I want functionality.

Mark- Anglers rod riggers are not the same. These are custom 80 40 20 degree holders. One for my dummy line straight out, one for a short and deep and another for a longish line. However if the fish are hitting on the planers I will take off the weight and put the longish line (175ft small umbrella) on the planer. Today it got hit off the planer but not as a boat rod. I put these holders together for $140 for the set delivered to my door.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Nice Pictures and Video Did I ever tell you how much I HATE MY JOB

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Marty
correction i saw 3 in 1 rod holders at anglers didnt mean i saw those exact ones but feel ya on the extra rods. i just picked up a et and it cost me way more in rods and reels!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Great post Dave glad you guys got into em

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ha ha.. I was calling that hog "big daddy!" not me Dave but we did get pics with that beast! Great day on the water and bigger fish waiting for us on our next trip.. Thanks Chris and Dave! Gonna cook some today and enjoy!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Should also probably mention my low oil alarm was going off while we were reeling in those triples. Was trying to put oil in the tank while moving rods and taking a video! Made for some excitement for sure. Great day all around.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Good post, Dave. A few more trophies for your cell-phone collection. You got 'em dialed in. Don't forget, I owe you a beer but I can only pay it back in the spring a little south of Timonium........ :D

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Good post, Dave. A few more trophies for your cell-phone collection. You got 'em dialed in. Don't forget, I owe you a beer but I can only pay it back in the spring a little south of Timonium........ :D
Shawn, we will put a hog in your hands come April 1 on the flats(not that you need MY help:D) a little north of my hometown. And no, I owe you a beer for the great reports that have helped me to catch LTJ. :clapping2: (And the bridges that are left in the background of your pics so I know where the fish are:D:D

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Nice catching :clapping2: but the netting gets a C + :D.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts