Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have a good recommendation for a place to camp and fish in the early spring? I'm thinking of taking my son out of town for a week during spring break for some relaxing camping and good fishing. I am in Virginia Beach, but am thinking about going as far as the Shenandoah Valley. I might get a tent, but a cabin with the amenaties would make it easier as my boy is still small. He's also stuck on the idea that we will have bear problems if we tent camp. My fault that. I told him a story of how a bear came in to my camp years ago and scratched at the tent above my head. Doh!

Henri

·
Registered
839 Posts
Could always do a tent camp trip at Buggs, we usually go to north bend, but there is plenty of campgrounds up there.Im thinking of stayin at rudds next time as it is on a creek arm. north bend is on the main lake but gets windy, good for keeping the skeeters off ya... google it, I think reserve Usa takes care of the reservations if you want to reserve a spot right on a point or beach for fishing/swimming.

Never heard of bear problems there, but watch out for the raccoons, they robbed me blind on a trip a few years back

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Funny thing. I've come across Smith Mountain Lake a lot in the last year or so. I found those same cabins listed when we were looking for a spot last year, and I saw some fishing reports from there too. It looks like a great place. That would be a pretty good drive and maybe a bit outside what I was budgeting, but I am thinking about it.

NWR Park is just down the road, and something that we already do regularly. I'm thinking about something new and a little farther from home.

If I do tent camping, I have to buy a lot of gear. Something I need to do, but might wait another year for.

·
Registered
340 Posts
hey ltf chech out the cabin rentals at little retreat. their up at buggs on the river. mostly you cat fish off their own pier. i have been going there for the last 4 years. check it out on the webb.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't abandoned this post. I've been on the road and haven't had much time for posting.

Those are some good suggestions. I like Smith Mountain Lake and Buggs. Both look like great places to get away and seem to have some of the best fishing.

Buggs is an hour or so closer, so I think that that is my current favorite.

Besides off the pier at Little Retreat, any suggestions on where to fish once there? It looks like there might be a possibility of catching some stripers on the North end this time of year. I've read that the crappie fishing is good around piers, so assume that they should be around the Little Retreat pier. What about cats? I'd love to hook into one in the 30-50lb range.

Henri

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.