Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Meet Rocky and John Veil at Sandy Point at 6:30 am. Plan was to go after Rock - then dive for charter boat snagged anchor. Captain had put a bleach bottle on the rode. Slack current predicted at 10 am. The anchor was hung just north of bridge in about 40 feet near channel.

Dive time would be short since currents here run strong and change fast. With it being on a float - should be fairly simple dive to free it.

We went out to 17 feet and saw a few Spot on meter. Current was incoming at nice pace. First anchor was off so reset and soon had steady bite of Spot on fresh bloodworms. Rocky reeled up another line but it was mono. John was using braid and my rod was in.

He pulled up an old tandem rig and then a lot of heavy mono. Had to move boat forward since line was hung up - perhaps lost rod / reel ? We did not find out as line broke. Moved back and added Spot to live well. We then ran to bridge to see the marker jug. Got there and current was boiling.

Circled area - no float. Damn. Hope it was pushed under by current. I wish captain had put better float or even boat fender on rode. Friend made up a few marker jugs using heavy duty one gallon jugs. He put the expanding insulation foam in them - great idea.

With bay near flat - ran to area my log books told me Rock should be.

Got there and set anchor - I showed Rocky and John how I hook Spot and proper way to fish them with fast current. Some days it is easy - got a nice 28 incher to start the day. With Rock under the boat , good current and plenty of Spot - I knew crew would get limit. I went into cabin and began to set up my dive gear. Heard - I got one and John netted Rocky's 24 incher. John got a small but legal that was let go being barely hooked.

Next one was about 26 - nice three Rock in about 15 minutes. We moved into shallow water and let Spot go , keeping 2 for strip bait. Tried a few areas for Perch but no luck - which was odd.

Decided to run back to bridge to check out the dive site with side scan. Bottom there is mud and spotted two items that likely had anchor on them. Very close to an obstruction on chart.

Wind was picking up as predicted - charter captain came by and put boat where he had jug. No idea if it sank - came loose or was cut off , but it was gone as current neared slack. Got grapple hook out and dragged it slowly around the things side scan showed us.

No luck hooking them so went back over with side scan. Spotted what looks like a chain held off bottom very close to where captain thought anchor should be.
No photo description available.

We dragged grapple but could not hook anything. Current was starting to move , wind picking up and I just was not feeling the dive. Hate to scrub a trip but little inner voice was telling me to.

We side scanned and then ran west to try for Perch on way back. Got one around 10 inches - odd to only get one. Did get a few more Spot - go figure. Called it about 11:30 and headed in.

At jetty saw a boat with 4 guys paddling - so Rocky and John tossed them a line. We got them just before wind pushed them into rocks. Easy tow in - I've been on both ends and much prefer front.

John and I gave Rocky our fish - loaded boat as breeze was picking up. On drive home wind really hit - I could feel it pushing truck / boat on I 97.

Hope to go back and get anchor for captain next week.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
603 Posts
The perch bite was wierd yesterday Skip. They didn't turn on in earnest until the tide was moving well. Usually as it starts they're in feeding frenzy mode, not yesterday.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Skip - when I was looking over your shoulder on the boat yesterday, I could see on the screen the object you thought might be the anchor. But the photo you posted above is a larger and clearer image. It certainly looks like an anchor to the left with the chain trailing off to the right. I hope you are successful in recovering the anchor for the captain. Since he was not careful in marking the lost anchor nor in giving you precise GPS coordinates, you may consider charging him extra for the searching time and effort.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Meet Rocky and John Veil at Sandy Point at 6:30 am. Plan was to go after Rock - then dive for charter boat snagged anchor. Captain had put a bleach bottle on the rode. Slack current predicted at 10 am. The anchor was hung just north of bridge in about 40 feet near channel.

Dive time would be short since currents here run strong and change fast. With it being on a float - should be fairly simple dive to free it.

We went out to 17 feet and saw a few Spot on meter. Current was incoming at nice pace. First anchor was off so reset and soon had steady bite of Spot on fresh bloodworms. Rocky reeled up another line but it was mono. John was using braid and my rod was in.

He pulled up an old tandem rig and then a lot of heavy mono. Had to move boat forward since line was hung up - perhaps lost rod / reel ? We did not find out as line broke. Moved back and added Spot to live well. We then ran to bridge to see the marker jug. Got there and current was boiling.

Circled area - no float. Damn. Hope it was pushed under by current. I wish captain had put better float or even boat fender on rode. Friend made up a few marker jugs using heavy duty one gallon jugs. He put the expanding insulation foam in them - great idea.

With bay near flat - ran to area my log books told me Rock should be.

Got there and set anchor - I showed Rocky and John how I hook Spot and proper way to fish them with fast current. Some days it is easy - got a nice 28 incher to start the day. With Rock under the boat , good current and plenty of Spot - I knew crew would get limit. I went into cabin and began to set up my dive gear. Heard - I got one and John netted Rocky's 24 incher. John got a small but legal that was let go being barely hooked.

Next one was about 26 - nice three Rock in about 15 minutes. We moved into shallow water and let Spot go , keeping 2 for strip bait. Tried a few areas for Perch but no luck - which was odd.

Decided to run back to bridge to check out the dive site with side scan. Bottom there is mud and spotted two items that likely had anchor on them. Very close to an obstruction on chart.

Wind was picking up as predicted - charter captain came by and put boat where he had jug. No idea if it sank - came loose or was cut off , but it was gone as current neared slack. Got grapple hook out and dragged it slowly around the things side scan showed us.

No luck hooking them so went back over with side scan. Spotted what looks like a chain held off bottom very close to where captain thought anchor should be.
No photo description available.

We dragged grapple but could not hook anything. Current was starting to move , wind picking up and I just was not feeling the dive. Hate to scrub a trip but little inner voice was telling me to.

We side scanned and then ran west to try for Perch on way back. Got one around 10 inches - odd to only get one. Did get a few more Spot - go figure. Called it about 11:30 and headed in.

At jetty saw a boat with 4 guys paddling - so Rocky and John tossed them a line. We got them just before wind pushed them into rocks. Easy tow in - I've been on both ends and much prefer front.

John and I gave Rocky our fish - loaded boat as breeze was picking up. On drive home wind really hit - I could feel it pushing truck / boat on I 97.

Hope to go back and get anchor for captain next week.
I got one and John netted Rocky's 24 incher. John got a small but legal that was let go being barely hooked.
im pretty sure that’s illegal, but I guess it just depends on who is doing the culling. I don’t want to see another post of floaters the rest of the season or any fingers pointed at anyone

·
Registered
15,062 Posts
I suppose we would see the air in the tank as a bright red return and the gas in the diver stomach as a red return also.
I never thought about looking for him on sidescan. I really don't know how to use his unit but he is often right in sidescan range. I'll try it next time......... Gary

1 - 18 of 18 Posts