Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom passed away on Sept. 11th - to say it hit my dad hard is understatement. Been inviting him fishing but he kept refusing - but agreed to go yesterday. Weather looked perfect - unreal for November. Light winds and 60* :yes:.

Left Sandy Point at 10:30 am - surprised to see about 40 trailers there. Guess others took advantage of great weather. We ran under the bridge and zig zagged from 25 to 45 feet. Flat calm seas let us cruise at 30 knots - new depth finder reads so sweet - could watch for bait / fish with no clutter. Hoped to find fish close to bridge but had fresh info about a bite to south.

Not much on meter and only scattered birds. The few boats we passed were spread out - looked to be in search mode. Radar was showing group of boats south of 85A but I'm not crazy about going into a crowd. Slowed well north of them but noticed they were in 25 -30 feet of water. Set auto pilot and let dad be look out while I set five rods. How often do you see this in November ?

Dad called off the fish he saw on meter - just few scattered blips and little bit of bait. Rods were set as follows:

# 1 - 6 1/2 ozs back 140' with Tony # 17 silver / green tape ( found it diving ). Honest about the 6 1/2 weight size - no idea where I got it

# 2 - 8 ozs back 120' with Tony # 15 silver

# 3 - 10 ozs -back 100' with tandem 1 and 2 oz white Spankin' striper with 6 inch white shads

# 4 - 12 ozs back 80' with same as above

# 5 - 16 ozs back 60 ' with 7/0 white Cripple Alewife spoon

Had rods in a W pattern - # 1 and # 2 on corners - # 5 in center and # 3 and # 4 off the gunwale rail mount holders.

This makes it easy to move rods when hooked up. We got a hit off # 1 and Dad reeled in a Rock not much longer than the spoon.

We caught 3 - 4 little guys in about an hour - more / less on slack current. Current began to move out and I noticed birds beginning to fly around. Had to laugh - all the $$$$ electronics on the boat and we were using birds to find fish.

Got a nice hit off # 4 rod and dad reeled in a 20 1/4 incher. Barely hooked and barely legal - we let it go. Circled back - nice with no other boats around - we got another hit off # 1. Dad reeled in a 22 incher that went on ice.

Got to love finding a lure that works.

Saw birds gathering to our south and headed that direction. Got near them and finder lit up and # 2 and # 3 went down. Dad reeled in # 3 first - to avoid tangles. Since # 2 was out farther - we left it in holder. Dad had two Rock - one was about 24 - other about 21. We kept bigger one and dad reeled in other rod. Looked about 20 inches - got loose just before I could swing it in.

Reset rods and circled back. Two other boats had seen birds but stayed comfortable distance away. Got near where we hooked up and screen lit up. Oh sh*t - I knew what was about to happen. Sure enough - # 1 -then 2 then 3 then 4 then 5. All rods were hooked up. Think it is first time in two months my dad smiled - we went to work as well oiled team. Closest rods came in first - I unhooked fish and kept two around 26 inches.

We managed to get 7 fish - the two tandems each had two. Only one leader tangle - my fault setting leader on deck. Auto pilot held straight course and took us away from the birds and fish but no big deal. We had four nice ones in cooler.

I set out one rod ( # 3 ) as dad steered boat back to the area we had hooked up. Idea was to LTJ a few - then run back. We got near the area and rod bent over. Dad had his hands full - telling me it was a 36 incher. I smiled - the way the rod bucked , knew it was two fish on the line. I slowed boat to a crawl and soon the fish were at the side. Wish I had camera - nice 26 +/- and real nice 31 +/-. Figures get a good one after icing our limit but no regrets setting them loose. Bigger fish hit one of my favorite 2 oz Spankin' Stripers. I buy these 6-8 at a time from Gary when I see him at shows.

With no trolling rods out - motored around and found nice marks in 50 feet. Dropped over a 1 1/2 oz sting silver in battered blue / white - one bounce and tick. Let dad reel up the feisty 22 incher. We C/R a few more - then lost the school. It was about 3:00 so we headed back to ramp. I take weights off rods to avoid damage - see - told you it is a 6 1/2 ouncer.

The 10 mile run ( hint ) only took 20 minutes and we left the park about 4:20. Beat most of the traffic - but saw police at Rt. 50 / I -97 split working a fresh deer collision. After that - easy ride home. Managed to get in just before dark.

Dad turns 89 in few weeks - hoping to get him out few more times before it gets too cold. Breaks my heart seeing him mourn - hoping more fishing trips eases his pain.

·
Registered
232 Posts
You sir, are a good and caring son.

Oh yeah, thx for the great report.

Bob
Grady 20

PS - Sorry to hear about your (and your Dad's) loss. My Mom went before my Dad also and it was a tough time.

·
Premium Member
26,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bolin - Thanks - my dad ( like most men ) figured on passing before their wife does.

·
Registered
227 Posts
You're the man! I'm 27 years old and my hunting/fishing buddy is my dad. He's 58 and has started losing his interest in hunting and fishing just recently this year. It's taking a toll on him because he's gotten lazy and just sits around the house all the time now. I can tell he's getting frustrated and somewhat depressed because he's missing out on precious hunting/fishing trips with my brother and I, but he doesnt have that drive/killer instinct to get out there. It has actually gotten to me pretty bad as well because I hate to see my dad like this and I want him to keep hunting/fishing with me until his time comes. His main complaint is having to get up so early to sit in a treestand in the cold. So, this weekend I'm taking him out on a sea bass trip up in OC, to hopefully get his MOJO back. I hope one day I'll be able to take my dad out on my own boat and enjoy what we love.

Thanks for the awesome report! Hopefully I'll have one just as good this weekend with my pops!

Dan

·
Registered
317 Posts
Wow..Thats the best report I think I've ever read on here. You one great dude, your dad is straight up bad ass and your boat looks awesome too. lol. Thanks for the trolling tips and the story about your dad. Great report!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Great report Skip . Your Dad looks in great shape. I'm sure he enjoys the trips with you. Wish mine was still around to do the same this. Life is short and every day is a gift.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Skip,

I'm glad that you were able to get your dad out, and on such a gorgeous day. This trip did you both a lot of good. Nice read and intel as well.

Don

·
Registered
20 Posts
Awesome report and even better read on the great relationship with your father. Thanks for sharing as always.

I am looking to upgrade my depth/fish finder. Curious as to your new depth finder and/or any recommendations. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I am looking to upgrade my depth/fish finder. Curious as to your new depth finder and/or any recommendations. Thanks.
Skip, What I'm wondering is, is your transducer mounted outside or through the hull? Mine is mounted outside at the stern, and when I'm up on plane drawing about 6-inches of water, I get nothing but clutter. Thanks again for this heartwarming post.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Great therapy for your dad :thumbup: As long as you can help keep his interest up he will be OK. Hope you guys have many more trips together.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks for the great report Skip. Nothing beats spending time on the water with family. Hope you and your dad get to spend many more fishing trips together in the future.

·
Registered
14,003 Posts
You're the man! I'm 27 years old and my hunting/fishing buddy is my dad. He's 58 and has started losing his interest in hunting and fishing just recently this year. It's taking a toll on him because he's gotten lazy and just sits around the house all the time now. I can tell he's getting frustrated and somewhat depressed because he's missing out on precious hunting/fishing trips with my brother and I, but he doesnt have that drive/killer instinct to get out there. It has actually gotten to me pretty bad as well because I hate to see my dad like this and I want him to keep hunting/fishing with me until his time comes. His main complaint is having to get up so early to sit in a treestand in the cold. So, this weekend I'm taking him out on a sea bass trip up in OC, to hopefully get his MOJO back. I hope one day I'll be able to take my dad out on my own boat and enjoy what we love.

Thanks for the awesome report! Hopefully I'll have one just as good this weekend with my pops!

Dan
I know how he is feeling. I am 62 and have been an avid hunter since I was 16. Up in a tree every day during the rut. Loved early muzzle loader. I haven't hunted once this year yet. Been doing some crabbing and fishing but not like I used to. My Son is 15 and could take or leave hunting so it's not an issue with him. He still likes to fish but doesn't like to get up early and that's fine with me!! I hope you guys get out hunting a bit but don't pressure him too much. He will go when he wants to......Gary

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think he just needs a taste of that adrenaline rush and excitement of fighting a fish and watching your deer drop after the shot again. We sat down and tied up a bunch of rigs for our sea bass trip tomorrow so he seems excited for that. Hopefully next weekend we can get out in the woods and get a heavy dose of bucks chasing does to ignite that fire inside of him again.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
as an older dad, I see, good work, take care of him. sometimes we need our sons or daughters to get us out of our funks.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mom, Skip, the first I've heard. Good testimony to her in a way how bad it hit your dad. Glad the fishing was good.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts