Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use 30# ande line with a 80# ande leader. I would recommend the ande line over the other stuff. I tried the sea striker line (I think that's what it's called) but it is nowhere near the quality of ande. And the 80# leader can get scraped up a little and still be strong enough to land that fish. Although if you know its damaged of course change it up. Sometimes I didn't notice until I had made it home and was putting gear away.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I can't understand why everyone uses such heavy line? I know guys that use lighter line in the ocean. I like braid, Power Pro, and wouldn't go over 50#. Anything else is just overkill and a waste of money.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
I can't understand why everyone uses such heavy line? I know guys that use lighter line in the ocean. I like braid, Power Pro, and wouldn't go over 50#. Anything else is just overkill and a waste of money.
There is no one who hates braid more than I, for trolling the main two reasons to use heavier braid is for abraision resistance, and to save your hands, I've settled on 65, but its more about the diameter than the lb test, most braid over tests by a bunch...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Spring/Fall (Broom Sticks) Go 50/lb High Vis Dacron-Braid sensitivity with slight less diameter than mono. No cuts
Summer-30/lb Dacron same reason as above.

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
I use 30 or 40lb mono for my board rods and 50lb braid for my deep lines. I used the 50lb braid for my boards one season and it tore up my hands too much and I think it is dangerous for my kids setting the board lines.

·
Registered
515 Posts
The only reason I fish a heavy braid is because of the reason mentioned, diameter. The only reason I fish braid at all on my trolling gear is because I run the Charter Specials and the 30lb-40lb mono capacity just does not cut it.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
No need for Braid on trolling reels. Very dangerous stuff and I have seen first hand what it can do. My buddy Kenny had his finger almost sliced off on a big fish years ago.

Depending on the reels you use. I would use 30 lb. mono and 60 lb. leader for light tackle trolling summer/early fall. I would then beef up for Spring and Later fall/Winter. I would then use 40-50 lb mono and 80 lb. leader.

I run Shimano TLD 25's and Shimano Tekota 800's for Spring/Fall Trophy season with 40-50 lb mono and 80 lb. leader. I use Penn 320's for LT summer/fall 30 lb. mono and 60 lb. leader.

One more thing I prefer a mono line called " MOMOI" its top shelf line and you can get it @ All Tackle and online. It comes in HI-VIS Yellow. I also only use "MOMOI DIAMOND LEADER.

I have learned thru trial and error and have found out the hard way about going "cheap". When you loose a fish of a lifetime, you will think twice about what you use to fish with. doh

If you fish @ CBBT bridge tunnel during December you will want the 80 lb leader. I have lost a few fish that where well over 50lbs down there. Remember if you eel the HighRise @ night those :bigfish: will run and run fast. There is a good chance your line could rub up against the pilings.

Originally Posted by shoreboy6

I would rather have too much than not enough when that state record decides to bite:bigfish::yes:

IMHO

Good Luck :thumbup:

Phil (lily):high5:

·
Registered
332 Posts
momoi diamond line is great! I use 40# year around in the bay and have never had an issue.And tested stronger than 50# ande.
Jeff-Red Machine-

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Obviously nobody bothers to read the instructions that come with Power Pro

Which PowerPro line is right for me?

Light Tackle Applications

Select a PowerPro line similar in diameter to the monofilament you normally use. For example, if you typically choose 8-lb. monofilament for applications, you would want 30-lb. PowerPro.

Heavy Tackle Applications

If you normally fish using monofilament or Dacron lines of 50-lb. test or greater, select a PowerPro line of the same test.
#30 mono = 0.017" diameter
#80 power Pro = 0.017" diameter

There is more to a line than its weight. The diameter is just as import. Would you try to use Kevlar kite string on windlass? You put #10 mono diameter line (0.007) on a #60-80 standup combo and not expect to have some issues with the line being such a small diameter, i.e. getting caught in the rollers, digging into the spool etc?

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Obviously nobody bothers to read the instructions that come with Power Pro

#30 mono = 0.017" diameter
#80 power Pro = 0.017" diameter

There is more to a line than its weight. The diameter is just as import. Would you try to use Kevlar kite string on windlass? You put #10 mono diameter line (0.007) on a #60-80 standup combo and not expect to have some issues with the line being such a small diameter, i.e. getting caught in the rollers, digging into the spool etc?
Oh no!!!, I wish I'd known that!,... now I gotta respool all the 50Ws with the 400 yds of 200 lb Jerry Brown and 400 lb mono wind-on top shot, Its a shame too, cause it seemed to be working great,....Is the 6 ft of 17 guage wire ok, or does that have to go too.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Oh no!!!, I wish I'd known that!,... now I gotta respool all the 50Ws with the 400 yds of 200 lb Jerry Brown and 400 lb mono wind-on top shot, Its a shame too, cause it seemed to be working great,....Is the 6 ft of 17 guage wire ok, or does that have to go too.
Blue Lou. I don't know you, but your comments here are always a love/hate relationship. I would love to fish with you to see if you stand up to this internet persona you have...

Maybe some of the other guys know more than I, but despite all your "this is how I know you don't fish comments," I am truly not sure if I can take you as a fisherman, or just another internet *******... Like the rest of us, in your opinion, I am sure. Why do you stick around if you never have anything good to add?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Yeah I see your point. My line on my 25's is my heaviest, 50lb test, and I fish offshore with those rods. Half of them have mainly what I think is 60lb braid with a 50lb topshot. The three 50's I have for fishing offshore are spooled with 50lb and a braid backing. And the 25's pull the big heavy lures like the umbrellas. And 80lb leader's? For my rockfish leaders I use 50-60lb florocarbon. For tuna fishing I use mainly 80lb florocarbon leaders.

·
Registered
553 Posts
For what it's worth I tend to use several different colors. This makes it way easier to untangle the occassional mess associated with trolling. If you have a red, yellow, green etc. it is easier to deal with than a bunch of clear.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts