Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havea 1997 225 Johnson ocean runner
that's been giving me problems off and on all summer. Ive checked all the connections to the wires coils ect. looking for a bad ground or connection can't find it
one day it runs good the next time it,s not getting thepower I know it has and will try to surge like it wants to kick in then back down 4-5000 rpm and wil race up and down
now it runs ok but not right then starts losing power to ythe point that you think your not getting home,and the tach and depthfinder are starting to act goofy when it' doing it
boat sits on a lift in the south river
can anybody recomend a good mechanic mobile or close so I could take to them?
any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Try Oaks Marine, Ronnie is a Mobile mechanic and very good his number 202-369-0165...Good luck Colin

·
Registered
610 Posts
Denny at South Shore Marine on Mountain Road. 410-255-4800.

I have twin '99 225 Ocean Pros with 750 hrs. He first fixed the problems that other mechanics couldn't even figure out and has since gotten them to run perfectly. Tough to find a more honest, straight forward person.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I had a similar problem with one of my V4s. Turned out to be a bad powerpack. Try my guy, he's mobile and has been working on Johnsons for 30 years. Real honest, reasonable, factory trained. 443-540-0583

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Had the same problem on my Evinrude. Pull the plugs after it has not run properly. The wet ones are not firing. This will tell you which power pack and/or coils to replace.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Denny at South Shore Marine on Mountain Road. 410-255-4800.

I have twin '99 225 Ocean Pros with 750 hrs. He first fixed the problems that other mechanics couldn't even figure out and has since gotten them to run perfectly. Tough to find a more honest, straight forward person.
I'll have to second Denny!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
is denny mobile?
I don't
I can check the plugs
some of the grounds can be tough as yhe boat is on a lift and don't have a trailer
could get it pulled if I have to
thanks
Greg

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Denny might come to your boat. He is busy now like everyone else. He came to my boat and fixed it last year. He is a great mechanic, very fair and takes the time to listen and then explain. Good luck, Colin

·
Registered
242 Posts
I will third or fourth Denny, or his brother Larry at Southshore Marine on Ritchie Hwy in Severna Park, either one are hard to beat.

Good Luck,
Butch

·
Registered
150 Posts
Good Johnson Mechanic

Call Joe Smith 443-271-9982. He will come to your boat. Very fair and honest. I use him exclusively.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Seahunter, poster on here, had a similar problem with his older Johnson OB. Turned out to be a cracked stator on the flywheel. Just a thought

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Talked to Denny today he he talked about a few diferent things to check and how to check .
he knows his stuff and will check it out if I can get it to act up .
very nice guy
thanks for the recommendations
Greg

·
Registered
242 Posts
Greg,

Denny is a good guy, been around a long time, just don't start talking to him about Guitars. He is a guitar nut and and wont get nothing done if you start. He played music for a long time in the Md Area, in fact he played at my wedding 30 years ago today.

Good luck, ,
Butch

1 - 18 of 18 Posts