Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Blues are destorying my umbrella rigs :nono: so I want to try some live lining until they clear out.

Does anyone know of a good place out of Deale catch some spot and live line.

Thanks in Advance,
Dave

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Right out front in Herring Bay and off Holland Point should still hold spot. Fishbites and blood worms on small j hooks. If you're like catching blues trolling you can always drag spoon umbrellas - commie proof and very productive. Good luck - Andy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Herring Bay right there that's good news.

On the Blues I had real good luck with small fake red eels (surgical tube) but no stripers.

Probably most the time I was only trolling around with half of the umbrella rig.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Dave,

Make up a couple umbrella rigs with strike king teasers (lizards, worms, etc.) and run spoons off them. They work just as good as shad/eels and they won't get bitten in half. I've used mine on the last five trips and haven't lost any tails....................also caught a few nice rock on them as well. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Capt. Hank DeVito on the "Afternoon Delight" from Breezy Point showed me a cool trick for umbrella rigs and Bluefish.He uses small rubber squid about 4 inches long.They are very tough and the Blues can not chew the up.Use a small spoon as the hook lure and it is Blue proof :thumbup:.

Keeping the speed at 3 knots helps also.Blues seem to prefer a faster troll then Rock plus going slower keeps the rig deeper.Often Blues feed near the surface.

·
Registered
475 Posts
spot and perch are thick along drop-off north of the green can outside of Holland point right now. I was there today loading up on perch. Blues were quite impolite. Rock, if any, were hanging low, watching and waiting. I suspect the nearly fully moon filled them up at night. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
I second the green can off of Holland Point. I fished there Sunday and loaded up on spot. I even had two Rockfish, spot doubles. The rock were about 10-12 inches.

-JB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts